E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

4Matic fluid figure 8s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 04:06 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
18 GLC300 4M
4Matic fluid figure 8s?

06 E350 4M. Just had several maintainance items performed. Had the transfer case fluid replaced. Car has 97K, and always dealer serviced. When I got the car back the service manager told me as im picking up the car that " your tires are pretty noisy".
Since I'm in NYC at 4PM I'm creeping in traffic almost all the way home so under 30 mph. But there's a weird vibration in the driveline that was never there before. The next morning I took the car back to the dealer and all the way I'm convinced the wheel bearings have failed. If you've ever experienced that you know what I mean. Well, after a couple of hours with the car back in the hands of the service foreman, I'm told that " the problem was the transfer case fluid was not circulating, we had to drive some figure 8s to get the fluid distributed". And they drained and refilled the transfer case. Btw everything is ok now.
I'm curious if there is a better answer. And, if the vibration was from an unlubricated gear set , has there been excessive wear on those parts from driving for about 20 miles without transfer case fluid " distributed"?