E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

To buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E500 Wagon
To buy or not to buy

I have been lurking here for a few months trying to get a feel about the E500 ownership experience.

I have owned multiple Honda / Acura products and have never had any major issues.

I am a wagon owner at heart and have fallen for a 2004 E500, I have to have the V8, but the more I read the more doubt creeps in.

I am a mechanic and can do all the maintenance / repairs myself but I'm still nervous about the long term with these cars.

Did I sell my 2009 TSX to soon?

Thanks for your advice comments in advance.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Why is doubt creeping in? I have the E550 with the M273 engine and oh my god is this thing a rocketship, I'm really surprised at the cars I can beat even at elevation. I drive my car REALLY hard and redline it on a daily basis and I've never had any issues with the engine or drivetrain at almost 130k *knock on wood*. The W211 has other issues that are common failures, AirMatic will be the most prominent one, but like any car with struts that need to be replaced it should be understood that AirMatic does fail.

Also, it helps if you have STAR Diagnostics or DAS Xentry if you're working on these cars, even higher level OBDII scanners don't always provide as much information. I love love love the W211 and I'm definitely getting a similar-year CLS63 soon which is very mechanically similar. Expensive to maintain? Yeah, kinda - it's all relative. Worth every penny? Absolutely. I would also bet that because the V8 has less strain compared to the V6 put on it in daily, tame driving situations that it would last longer since it doesn't have to work as hard to, say, merge on the highway. I think you made a good choice, but I would recommend either a facelift (2007+) or 05 or 06, less issues than 03 or 04.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
I almost bought E500 but after a week of research I've decided not to risk and go with E320. My buddy gave me his E500 for a couple of weeks to try it out. V8 sure is fun fast and loud.. But thirsty. When you have 300+ horses at your disposal to play with those fast accelerations will become a bad habit which will make you go to gas station more frequently. And airmatic suspension kept me away from buying e500 after reading some raging rant about it.

E500 is a premium Executive car which was meant and made for Upper middle class( don't mean to insult anybody)
Old 05-13-2014, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Actually very true statements above, I drive my car HARD because of the intoxicating acceleration and exhaust note, and I pay well over 100 in gas in a two week period. Second, I've replaced nearly every AirMatic component. However, in the end, is it worth it? Totally, I would make the decision over and over and over again, I love this car to death and I think you will really like the E500 if you can pay a little extra to play. AirMatic has become a lot cheaper to fix than when these cars first came out (with aftermarket parts from Arnott) and they aren't terribly unreliable, only small issues here and there. You will definitely have a hump of maintenance to get over in your first year of ownership depending on mileage and condition, but think of it as getting an older car up to speed again. Once you do, it's pretty damn reliable.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Actually very true statements above, I drive my car HARD because of the intoxicating acceleration and exhaust note, and I pay well over 100 in gas in a two week period. Second, I've replaced nearly every AirMatic component. However, in the end, is it worth it? Totally, I would make the decision over and over and over again, I love this car to death and I think you will really like the E500 if you can pay a little extra to play. AirMatic has become a lot cheaper to fix than when these cars first came out (with aftermarket parts from Arnott) and they aren't terribly unreliable, only small issues here and there. You will definitely have a hump of maintenance to get over in your first year of ownership depending on mileage and condition, but think of it as getting an older car up to speed again. Once you do, it's pretty damn reliable.
I do love V8! When i hear a raging Merc's V8 accelerating from a traffic lights i get jealous. V6 will never sound with so much Bossy VVRRrooom! If i ever go with v8 it'll probably be W212 with 30k miles onit. But for now im pretty happy with E320.. It's got plenty of power for its weight and size.. I mean 218hps is not bad i wish though it was a little bit more like 250.. But still it's plenty for a city
Europeans got w211 with 1.8L engine now that's what i call underpowered. To the OP go with a midgeneration e350 now that's what i call right in spot!

Last edited by despicable merc; 05-13-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 SL55 AMG | 2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe
Yo jandk7..... Here's some more fuel for the fire:

errr... Okay... apparently these forums have to get their big foot into it when one posts a YouTube link. Anyway.. you can see the intended vids by clicking the "Playlists" link within the block below.

Last edited by Honcho; 05-13-2014 at 11:19 PM. Reason: URL went kablooey
Old 05-14-2014, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by despicable merc
I do love V8! When i hear a raging Merc's V8 accelerating from a traffic lights i get jealous. V6 will never sound with so much Bossy VVRRrooom! If i ever go with v8 it'll probably be W212 with 30k miles onit. But for now im pretty happy with E320.. It's got plenty of power for its weight and size.. I mean 218hps is not bad i wish though it was a little bit more like 250.. But still it's plenty for a city
Europeans got w211 with 1.8L engine now that's what i call underpowered. To the OP go with a midgeneration e350 now that's what i call right in spot!
I would very much agree with that! You need to hear my car with the muffler delete then, you'd love it. Even pops and crackles a little on downshift. As self serving as that sounds it really is AMG-Esque, not very loud at cruising or idle but deafening at WOT (outside of the car). You can get that power in the E320 with some Kleemann options, not too difficult. But you're correct it IS a lighter car which counts for a lot.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:11 PM

2007 E500 Wagon

It has been awhile but I finally pulled the trigger. At the end of May I found a 2004 E500 on auto trader in North Carolina with 20142 original miles and bought it 2 minutes after I looked at the ad. It took a few weeks to arrange to get it brought up to Montreal and I have been completely thrilled since I got it here.
I am starting to modify her and loving the looks I get driving around with it.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Congrats on the purchase, she's a beauty!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:42 PM

2007 E500 Wagon
Thanks. The funny thing is she is the color and has every option that I wanted.
I did the muffler delete two weeks ago and I can,t stop giggling like a school girl.
I think I'm getting 7 miles to the gallon just so I can listen to the rumble.
I will have new wheels and lowered the suspension by the end of the month.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:01 AM

2003 E500
That's a good find with the low mileage.