E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Your dealership experience (sales & service)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S4
Originally posted by ctemkin
I am curious to hear more about HBL in Tyson's Corner, VA. Have your problems been with sales, service, or both?

I bought my car there through their "internet" sales program. The price was a few bucks over invoice, so I can characterize my experience with the sales department as satisfactory. I have yet to go in for any scheduled service. The one thing I did go in for was to have them switch out some of the black plastic dashboard parts for wood accessories I had purchased from Performance Products. They charged several hundred dollars, which seemed high, but they did a flawless job of it.
like most dealerships, its hit or miss with HBL I took my car to their service dept. for an alignment, and the problem is now worse than it was before --- i.e. i do not recomment the alignment "fix" for your new e-class if it pulls to the right...
anyway, the service guy was nice (cannot remember his name now, sorry ) but they do overcharge for just about everything. I usually go to ASC in arlignton for service, they have been the most consistent.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:24 PM

The Mercedes-Benz of Bend, Oregon has the best service of any car dealer I've ever been to by far!

Last Spring Break, while at the MB dealer mentioned above, I was outside looking at the cars when a man from the dealer came up to me and asked me how I was doing or something and I was quite suprised because at the time, I was just 16 (17 now). My parents didn't buy/lease anything from them but if I were going to buy an MB, I'd buy it from them.

He likely knew I couldn't even afford a new car but he STILL talked to me. Paul Allen, the owner of the Trail-Blazers, wears regular clothes, at least on tv and the games. If he walked into, say a Ferrari dealers in L.A. and they didn't know him, they would just likely ignore him even though he could easily buy that Ferrari dealer!

Old 01-23-2004, 08:55 PM

HBL is the third pillar in the VA Axis of Evil (TM). Their salespeople are incompetent (speaking from expereince) and their Service folks are OK, but the techs just can't do anything right! That's the reality I have faced there.

Oh, and let's not forget the rentals from creepy Enterprise rent-a-car.

Of course, it is no better at the other two pillars--ASC Arlington and Alexandria. Guess us NoVA folks are just outta luck.

If you are near Bethesda, I would recommend you hit EuroMotor Cars.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 White on Stone E320
Had Jackie Chan of House of Imports in Buena Park, CA. I think they give all the Chinese people to him. Sales was fine. He sends thank you letters and stuff to see if we have any problems. That's a nice touch. Would go to him again.

Haven't tried the service dept. yet (knock on wood) but I don't hear good things about it.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:57 AM

2015 C300
Bought my '03 E320 at Clair Mercedes in Boston, now Mercedes Benz of Westwood. The buying experience was great - treatment was what you'd expect for buying at $53K car. They weren't willing to deal on the price of the car (no one was!), but gave me a very fair trade-in on my 1997 C class.

Had some of the early gremlins (command module and audio gateway module replacements), but the service department was always responsive and got the job done. Plus, I like the coffee, muffins and plasma screen TV in the waiting area!

Overall I'll probably purchase my next Mercedes from them as well. Previous buying experience with Foreign Motors West in Natick was also excellent, bought my C class there in 1997, but never used their service department, so can't comment.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
One point that should be made. We don't all seem to get the same impression on the service we receive at the dealers.

A case in point is Barrier Motors in Bellevue, Washington.

Thomasp posts a very sad service experience above.
However, I have been taking my E500 (both pre-nav and replacement) to Barrier for the past year. Outstanding and caring service in every way. I did not buy the car from them and that has had no impact at all on the service I receive.

It may be that a single bad experience is just that, a single experience. I would guess that it would take a few service appointments to really get the feel of the service department.

I would rate Barrier Motors very highly.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally posted by etenn
One point that should be made. We don't all seem to get the same impression on the service we receive at the dealers.
Good point. But that has been my intent with this thread all along. Find the dealer(s) of interest, weigh the opinions, and make an informed decision from first hand past experience(s) - so you're not going in blind (sales or service). Thanks for elaborating.

Remember, we're not here to discredit anyone, but rather to inform our fellow members so that, together, we can make the ownership of our W211 the very best it can be.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:02 AM

Ray Catena is Edison, NJ is the countries second largest MB dealership in the country in terms of volume. And after my sales and servcie experiences with them, you realize that you are just one tiny piece of that huge volume....

From the sales perspective, you can get a much better price deal from them IF you are willing to go through the negotiation choreography with them. They pull out all the classic tactics, - am I buying a Buick or an MB.... In response to my question about a discount on my E500, my salesman there started out offerring free all season mats, but when faced with losing the deal to another dealership went to selling at invoice. There were some more tactics to be tried by them before delivery, but they eventually did make good on the deal, and delivery was professional.

From the service perspective, the place is a black hole. It takes 45 minutes JUST TO DROP YOUR CAR OFF, because you must wait to sit down with a service advisor. Loaners are often Enterprise, and the MB loaners are usually in bad shape. A new service building was just built, where every day you are offerred not just free coffee but sandwiches, desserts, the works. There is even free computers with Internet acess, a pool table, etc. This is fitting because a service appointment there usually turns into an all day project.

They do try to be helpful - after one incident where it took me 1.5 hours to drop off the car, I asked for compensation and got it in the form of a very reduced price on an accessory.

I don't know about you guys, but miinimizing my time expenditure for service is tops on my list - and for that reason, I'll think twice about getting another car from this dealership.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:45 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
I completely agree with Pat a., that the service depts across the board seem to be horrible, in fact, I would argue that if they fixed the service depts, all of us would have very positive ownership experiences. Don't get me wrong, the people (service advisors, etc) are really nice to you and treat you with respect and they give you the coffee and other amenities while you wait and a loaner if you call ahead...but it seems like this is supposed to make up for prompt and fast and quality service.

I prefer my Honda dealer that does not give me a loaner (except for big problems), but the car is always fixed in 1-2 days regardless of what the problem is (even replacing the whole transmission was just 2 days and they gave me a loaner for that). Fix my car quickly and let me go...
Old 01-26-2004, 08:01 AM

2015 C300
My preference is a car that doesn't need to go into the shop at all! Now, I realize that with scheduled maintenance there is no way around this, but I really wish for the "good old days" of my 1997 C Class. Never had a problem after the first month (window came off the track), never was in the shop except for scheduled stuff in almost 5 years of ownership!

That said, the service department certainly can make or break the entire owning experience - I'm really surprised that not all dealerships or even Mercedes Benz understand or seem to care about that! I can buy the car anywhere, though my preference is the dealership where I will get service as well, but I really don't have all that many options for service.

Even though I've had really good service experiences so far, I still get that sinking feeling in my stomach when it's time to bring the car in, I guess it's just years of training and expecting the worst! Because of that, I'm sad to say that it really wouldn't take much of an incident at the service department to set me back and change my whole opinion of the owning experience. I'm hoping this goes away, but doubtful...
Old 01-26-2004, 09:24 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
Houston & Atlanta

Recently had good and bad experiences in two different cities with dealers....

THE BAD:
Houston - Greenway and MB of North Houston
I was visiting for Thanksgiving in Houston. My sister wanted a 2004 E500 and asked me to go shopping with her. She'd already been to Greenway and had been told that to order a car she could pay MSRP. So we went to MB of N Houston to see what they would say. First of all, big attitude. Almost expected to have to pay just to test drive. Then, they offered an insulting price - blaming it on the need to order the car and the difficulty of getting an E500 (but it was at least under MSRP).

I called my dealership in Atlanta (Atlanta Classic Cars) and over the phone got a better offer by more than 2% offer what was offered at MB of N. Houston. My sister bought the car through the Atlanta dealer.

To make matters worse...Greenway called my sister back (a mere 6 weeks after she'd been in) and when she told them that she'd ordered the car from another dealer, the guy hung up on her.

Long and short...stay away from Greenway....only there for the big $ and has no concern for long term customer service.

THE GOOD:
Atlanta Classic Cars

I have now bought two cars there (2001 E430 and 2004 SL500) and have been VERY happy with the level of service and interest. I have also serviced them there (as needed, which has been MINIMAL) along with my 1988 560SL. My service advisor is a genius and can diagnose without seeing the car (or so it seems) -also very up front especially re: the 1988 and the need factor for repair/restoration work.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:24 AM

Houston & Atlanta

Further on the Bad:

MB of North Houston did call my sister back sometime about a month after we were there...wanted to let her know that they had received an E320 in the color combination that she liked - wouldn't she be interested in buying that instead??

It was like they never heard or cared WHAT she really wanted to buy - just wanted to sell her what they already had in stock.

Last edited by Gunther; 01-26-2004 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:30 AM

It all keeps coming back

Bad: MB of North Houston

I caught the salesperson at least three different times stating something that was absolutely untrue. She wouldn't back down and only after making her confirm with someone else and proving she was wrong did she accept that she didn't know EVERYTHING about cars. One major error was that she claimed that the extended warranty ONLY covered the powertrain not the whole car. She was a former Lexus dealer and REALLY needed to stop telling us more about Lexus if she wanted to sell an MB.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:49 PM

GOOD - Romano Mercedes, Syracuse, NY

I've bought 2 mercedes benz autos from them. Clk - no problems/has never been in for any service yet. E needed service on radio/nav unit (received car 1/15/04), car was in for 3 days this week. They picked up my car from my worksite (35 miles from dealership), and left me a decent loaner, an '03 c240 4matic. My car was delivered back to me this afternoon at work, audio problem repaired (so far so good) and freshly washed. Their service seems to be very good, and just what it was promised to be when purchasing the cars. My salesman for both cars was Tom Wassel, who has gone out of his way to be helpful.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by konigstiger
To one and all, I'm looking for dealership experiences (USA nationwide) good & bad, fair and unfair, serious and petty, as it pertains to both the purchasing / trading aspect and repair / service aspect (first time, follow-up, and additional). Also, please include if your dealership is corporate owned or privately owned. Dealership name is optional but please include specific state location. We need one central forum for dealership isuues, matters, and concerns inclusive of any sub category matters. Let this forum be it. Thanks.
Randy B you made mention of this thread in replying to one of my posts. Got to thinking maybe it’s time to dust it off call out for updates and new contributions.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:44 PM

W211 & Q7
Originally Posted by pat a.
Ray Catena is Edison, NJ is the countries second largest MB dealership in the country in terms of volume. And after my sales and servcie experiences with them, you realize that you are just one tiny piece of that huge volume....

From the sales perspective, you can get a much better price deal from them IF you are willing to go through the negotiation choreography with them. They pull out all the classic tactics, - am I buying a Buick or an MB.... In response to my question about a discount on my E500, my salesman there started out offerring free all season mats, but when faced with losing the deal to another dealership went to selling at invoice. There were some more tactics to be tried by them before delivery, but they eventually did make good on the deal, and delivery was professional.

From the service perspective, the place is a black hole. It takes 45 minutes JUST TO DROP YOUR CAR OFF, because you must wait to sit down with a service advisor. Loaners are often Enterprise, and the MB loaners are usually in bad shape. A new service building was just built, where every day you are offerred not just free coffee but sandwiches, desserts, the works. There is even free computers with Internet acess, a pool table, etc. This is fitting because a service appointment there usually turns into an all day project.
I tried to buy car from Ray Catena but it did not work out even I told the sales that another dealer gave me 1k off MSRP but the sales did not want to match the offer at all. (I don't see his point because 1000 dollars off MSRP is not a big deal, he and his manager still can make thousands of dollars on it but he selected to have nothing.)

I maintained my car in Ray Catena, the services are excellent and polite. I have not seen the sales anymore. (obviously, he left Ray Catena -- if he did not leave, his customers leave.)
Old 07-08-2004, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
I Like This Thread

As the title says, it is informative and gives an inside detail of other MB owner's experiences at their dealership. I have just purchased my first MB, a 05 CDI and am looking forward to having positive experience with my dealer.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:59 PM

2004 W211 - 2004 MV Agusta SPR
Euro Motorcars MB in Bethesda:

Got exactly what I wanted for my trade-in, gave me less than invoice price, good sales person Nancy Gundry fought the competition for my business.

DONT EVER USE HERB GORDON MB IN SILVER SPRING MARYLAND..SALES MANAGERS WILL TRY TO RIP YOU OFF ON YOUR TRADE IF YOU HAVE ONE...SALES PERSON WAS GREAT THOUGH...TOO BAD HIS MANAGERS SCREWED UP HIS DEAL WITH ME.

Service Dept: Had the car in for Command cutting out and drivers seat squeak (seat frame problem). Got an ML Loaner after my sales person pressured them, they kept the car for like 2 days, said the command was fixed, but the seat frame is on national backorder. Picked up the car and as soon as we got to the driveway, Command cut out again. Kept the car for 4 days this time, still no seat frame. Picked up the car this time Command works but gotta wait for seat frame. 2-3 weeks later got a call to bring in the car for the seat frame and semi annual maintenance...we'll see what happens.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Mercedes-Benz of Palm Beach.

***This is based on my opinion***

Never had a problem with service here. The dealer treats you with courtesy and utmost respect.