E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Whatever happened to the Advanced Technology in the W211?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whatever happened to the Advanced Technology in the W211?

I remember reading loads about Bluetooth, RDS, a uniform interface for Motorolla Phones, MP3 playing functions for the COMAND II for the W211, as well as DVD Playback ability(at standstill). Whatever happened to all that?
Was it just a pipe dream or was it tossed aside when the former supplier couldnt deliver and MB had the COMAND fisco which some of you remember so well?

Thanks for any and all info.

Related Links:
Link1
Link2
Link3
Link4 - Universal Interface
Old 01-02-2004, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
i know what you mean.. I am dissapointed as well with those same items, and a couple others. hopefully, there will be some kind of retrofit for some of the technology issues...
Old 01-02-2004, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
most of them work, just not in the US, i still believe the w211 is one of the highest technological vehicles out today, with its brakes, computer systems, and of course construction.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by bmms8
most of them work, just not in the US, i still believe the w211 is one of the highest technological vehicles out today, with its brakes, computer systems, and of course construction.
I agree that under the hood technologies in the W211 are class leading at least but I was refering to user interface technologies. Especially Bluetooth.
I mean even Acura has Bluetooth in their cars now. *sigh*
Old 01-02-2004, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
From all the glitches I read about the electronics have now, I say get what you have now workin right before adding any more to the pot....
Old 01-02-2004, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by Silver_Lana
I agree that under the hood technologies in the W211 are class leading at least but I was refering to user interface technologies. Especially Bluetooth.
I mean even Acura has Bluetooth in their cars now. *sigh*
indeed the TL is a great car, for 30 K its unbeatable, the interior is really nice, and everything is color matches, and the nav screen is huuuuuge, only thing idont like was the resolution on it, seemed blurry
Old 01-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
From all the glitches I read about the electronics have now, I say get what you have now workin right before adding any more to the pot....
So true, that reminds me, why do you have fiber optic cabling when your still using Bose speakers?!
Old 01-02-2004, 08:26 PM

2004 E500
Originally posted by vraa
So true, that reminds me, why do you have fiber optic cabling when your still using Bose speakers?!
This comment doesn't make sense, since this cabling is a big improvement over the alternatives. Besides, I thought the new E class has Harmon Kardon speakers.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Oops, you are right, *smacks himself on the head*

Actually the point I was trying to make was why go through the trouble of making fiber optics work and such when there are other components that should be upgraded for less hassle that will improve sound quality.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Come on, you guys realize that this is the first year MB didn't have a cassette player standard on the E class with the CD player as an option, right? MB moves in a slower speed.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Originally posted by norb
Come on, you guys realize that this is the first year MB didn't have a cassette player standard on the E class with the CD player as an option, right? MB moves in a slower speed.
haha.. that made me laugh. That sums it up for MB. Maybe by the time I work up the nerve to buy an E55, they will have these issues taken care of and technology on par.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by bmms8
Overhere there are fixes for everything. It just takes some time to arrive at the US.

US-dealers also have to get a bit of experience with the 211.

New fonctions are arriving too. Our workshop was an official Comand retrofit center from july until november (retrofit action closed now) and we retrofitted about 40 of them.
MP3 has been promised for this month, but I have heard rumours from Germany that it may be april.
Also with every software-update for Comand or Audio50APS (tough I do not know if the same Harmann-Becker systems are used in the US) new fonctions may be added.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:27 AM

As mentioned by bmms8, most of what Silver Lana is commenting on (except for the MP3) is available on European models. I think what you US guys have to do, is to put pressure on MB US. I frankly do not understand why US cars have less functions available then in other countries.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:20 AM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Patrick/Oslo, Why on earth does'nt MB HQ in Germany dictate to MBUSA to get with the program? This is a business not a government agency. If MB HQ is really this out of touch with its own delivery system, God save us. This situation is beyond the pale. We in the USA pay for our cars with our hard earned dollars just like the good people in Europe use their hard earned Euros. There is no excuse, that I can imagine, why the USA should be blacked out of upgrades, technical information, etc. US dealerships and owners should not have to beg MBHQ for equal access.

Last edited by drb; 01-03-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:47 AM

2004 E500
Originally posted by drb
There is no excuse, that I can imagine, why the USA should be blacked out of upgrades, technical information, etc. US dealerships and owners should not have to beg MBHQ for equal access.
This is the issue that bugs me the most. Patrick has been great in sharing his European experiences with us; why can't MB do the same for its U.S. customers with some timetables?
Old 01-03-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by drb
Patrick/Oslo, Why on earth does'nt MB HQ in Germany dictate to MBUSA to get with the program? This is a business not a government agency.
I’m not familiar with US Consumer rights, except from what I read about Ralph Nader….. I think that MB HQ in Germany is much more concerned about introducing new functions on the US market when they know they can face tremendous (and sometimes ridiculous) law suits if anything goes wrong. (Just my .2 $ opinion.)
Old 01-03-2004, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by patrick
MP3 has been promised for this month, but I have heard rumours from Germany that it may be april.
From my source at SiFi I heard about a major software upgrade in March. Should address more then the MP3, such as: Bluetooth (more profiles), telephone (more handsets), Navi (better coverage (at least in Europe)), better Address book in COMAND, etc. etc.

Hope it's not delayed
Old 01-03-2004, 11:14 AM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Originally posted by Oslo
I’m not familiar with US Consumer rights, except from what I read about Ralph Nader….. I think that MB HQ in Germany is much more concerned about introducing new functions on the US market when they know they can face tremendous (and sometimes ridiculous) law suits if anything goes wrong. (Just my .2 $ opinion.)
Oslo, MB HQ, like most if not all international companies, has access to insurance. I doubt the problem involves being afraid of US litigation. Lloyds of London will insure some very outrageous sitations after all, and the MB exposure would be much more benign, I suspect. Further, litigation is built in to the cost of doing business. Can you suggest any other European car manufacturer that has walked away from the American market because of fears of litigation? Consider the BMW Idrive, MB's brake by wire...
Old 01-03-2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by drb
Oslo, MB HQ, like most if not all international companies, has access to insurance.
drb

You're probably right when it comes to insurance, but I do not think that having an insurance is the only solution. Here is something that I found on a Lexus page:

Unfortunately, the car’s most impressive new innovation, a Pre-Collision System (PCS), is currently only available in Japan because of worries about its legal implications. PCS uses radar to warn if a collision is imminent by first tightening the occupants’ seat belts, then applying the brakes gradually, and finally making sure maximum braking pressure is attained when the driver hits the brakes. Lexus is delaying the introduction of PCS into Europe and North America until it is sure that it will be immune from law suits from drivers seeking to blame the car for not doing enough to avoid crashes.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:16 PM

2004 E500
drb

You're probably right when it comes to insurance, but I do not think that having an insurance is the only solution. Here is something that I found on a Lexus page:

Unfortunately, the car’s most impressive new innovation, a Pre-Collision System (PCS), is currently only available in Japan because of worries about its legal implications. PCS uses radar to warn if a collision is imminent by first tightening the occupants’ seat belts, then applying the brakes gradually, and finally making sure maximum braking pressure is attained when the driver hits the brakes. Lexus is delaying the introduction of PCS into Europe and North America until it is sure that it will be immune from law suits from drivers seeking to blame the car for not doing enough to avoid crashes.
Interesting - but where there's a buck to be made litigating, the litigators will do just that. Limiting judgment awards in civil suits would certainly help these manufacturers proceed more quickly, IMHO.

Anyway, at least Lexus is being upfront about the delay.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
I think the biggest hurdle these overseas auto makers face is the D.O.T (department of transportation).... They are the one's who set the guide lines on what is "safe" here in this country or not.... Sure, I doubt a what kind of stereo of wheather or not you have a mp3 system in car car has much to do with safety issuse, but the D.O.T can be quite a stumbling block for many new systems or devices added to our vehicle's... Perfect example is mercedes "active headlight" systems just now being implemented on the (U.S) E cars..... This system was available for nearly a year or more on overseas cars, but from what I understand the D.O.T would not approve it the system untill they did their independent saftey studies.... This could be a good thing or not depending on how you look at it, but in either case it sucks we seem to be the last to get anything.....
Old 01-03-2004, 12:38 PM
drb

drb

on a Lexus page:

Oslo, this is an interesting observation. I'm gathering, the Japaneese, unlike Europeans and Americans, are unlikely to blame the car for not doing enough to avoid crashes!? Japan has lawyers. What is different about the Japaneese, or just about any country with lawyers for that matter, with regard to litigation? On the face of it this situation seems odd. It seems Lexus is fearless in Japan.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From my source at SiFi I heard about a major software upgrade in March. Should address more then the MP3, such as: Bluetooth (more profiles), telephone (more handsets), Navi (better coverage (at least in Europe)), better Address book in COMAND, etc. etc.

Hope it's not delayed
I infer from your comment that you already have bluetooth then right?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

drb

I think this is Bull. MB has included a similar system in the S and CL Class for a year now. Its called Pre-Safe. Closes sunroof, rolls up windows and pretensions the Seatbelts. It also moves your seat to the most survivable position if it detects a crash is imminent. I find it difficult to belive that MB can bring that to the US and Lexus cannot.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:49 PM
drb

MB = heman

Lexus = fraidy cat

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Whatever happened to the Advanced Technology in the W211?