E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Install Arnott air bags when installing UPD camber/toe kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 973 Likes on 757 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Install Arnott air bags when installing UPD camber/toe kit?

Question for the collective:

Thoughts/opinions on replacing the stock rear air bags with Arnott air bags while installing the UPD camber/toe kit? Two schools of thought; "Don't fix it if it ain't broken." and "Replace the part on my schedule before it breaks rather than be stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck."

Car has 86,000 miles, rear suspension is fine in above freezing temps but the left rear will bottom out when temps are in the teens. A sign that the left rear is beginning to go?

I was going to put off replacing the air bags after reading the 15-page manual on the Arnott web site; I just don't have the car lift to drop the rear sub-frame and would have to take the car to a shop. On the plus side, while the sub-frame is out I could replace all the bushings.

Then, I found this thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...ic-spring.html
Seems I could replace the air bags without dropping the sub-frame. Still a lot of work but within my abilities and I have the tools.

Thoughts? Opinions? Replace the air bags or not?

Cross-posted on benzworld.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 12-29-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Update

Found the leak. It started after a journey to the Texas Panhandle where overnight temps dropped to 4 degrees F. All it took was one night for the leak to develop and the leak continued after the car returned to 60 to 70 degree F temps.
First photo shows the soapy water trick works. The next photo shows how I used a Dremel tool to cut the clamp off. Third photo shows the clamp; if you cut next to the crimp, you cut the outer layer of the clamp without affecting the inner layer or damaging the hose or plastic.
At this point, I installed another clamp out of my collection. Leak was slowed to one bubble every 30 seconds so I tightened the clamp another 1/4 turn and...the clamp stripped. Crap. I'm going to cut the hose end off and install a high quality hose clamp on the fitting. Should work so I'm not too worried.
I will update as I work on the car. I'm still looking at whether or not it would be easier to install the camber/toe kit by removing the air spring or not....
FWIW.
Attached Thumbnails Install Arnott air bags when installing UPD camber/toe kit?-w211-air-bag-leak.jpg   Install Arnott air bags when installing UPD camber/toe kit?-w211-air-bag-leak-1.jpg   Install Arnott air bags when installing UPD camber/toe kit?-w211-air-bag-leak-2.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
W218
subscribed for updates
Old 01-05-2015, 02:58 AM
SPONSOR

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
I will update as I work on the car. I'm still looking at whether or not it would be easier to install the camber/toe kit by removing the air spring or not....
FWIW.

Re: Airmatic Suspension - With K-MAC adjuster kits (front Camber and Caster and rear Camber with extra Toe) there is no need to remove air bags to install.

Kits come with extraction tools. Rear Camber adjuster can be fitted on car while rear toe arm can be easily removed and the K-MAC adjustable bushes installed using a bench press.

The unique patented design front Camber and Caster bushes are 2 axis/self aligning to cater for the multi link arms and provide up to 4 times the adjustment range of the other alternative "one position front crash bolts".

Also NO labor intensive disassembly is required each time to change settings. Precise ongoing adjustment capability is provided on car, (single wrench) when altering suspension height or resolving steering pull or curb knock damage.

Bonus with the 4 front and 4 rear K-MAC bushings is that they replace the highest wearing suspension bushes and have twice the load bearing area of OEM.

Last edited by K-Mac; 01-05-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Please remove this spam

Mods,

May I ask you to remove this spam from K-Mac? It has nothing to do with my question and K-Mac web site does not show they sell a kit for the rear suspension of a 2005 W211. The K-Mac rep didn't even bother to take the time to read my post and I find that rather insulting.

I have no issue with K-Mac advertising their wares on a separate thread.

Thank you.

PS. K-Mac rep. Even if you do sell an adjustable camber kit, it wasn't listed on your web site when I decided to purchase the UPD camber/toe kit. If you do have the kit available, update your web site. FWIW.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 01-05-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:01 AM
SPONSOR

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
[QUOTE=bbirdwell;6284741]Mods,

May I ask you to remove this spam from K-Mac? It has nothing to do with my question and K-Mac web site does not show they sell a kit for the rear suspension of a 2005 W211. The K-Mac rep didn't even bother to take the time to read my post and I find that rather insulting.

QUOTE]

We do apologize for the misunderstanding. We were simply replying to your request re:
"would it be easier to install the camber/toe kit by removing the air spring or not."

Offering the information that with K-MAC - installation does not require labor intensive removal of airbags!

Re K-MAC listing, we have always listed on our website, "manufacturing W211 Front and Rear Adjuster kits" (since 2008 and Airmatic suspension since 2011).
Old 01-18-2015, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Air bag leak repaired

Leak repaired. Cost ~$4.

I cut off the very end of the rubber hose, slipped a heavy-duty clamp on the line (see below), lubed the inside of the hose with a bit of soap, slid the line on, and tightened clamp.
I followed the instructions in DAS and raised the axle up to normal driving position (~-1.2 degrees camber), then used the features to increase pressure to ~5 bar of pressure in that air bag only. Checked for leaks using soapy water, then followed up with lowering the car to the ground and measured the initial height. 24 hours later it is at the same height and the DAS shows pressure to be holding. Previously the car would drop at the left rear in a matter of 4-6 hours.
It is a tight area to work in so...like anything on these cars, it requires patience. Don't forget that I found it easiest to use a Dremel tool with cutting wheel to cut off the original clamp.
I ordered the clamps from Amazon.com for ~$4 each. Go by the metric size as some of the descriptions are incorrect (i.e. states 1 1/32” to 1 3/32” when it is actually a 67mm clamp and not a 28mm clamp). You want a part number ending in “028” if ordering a Kuriyama clamp.
And my apologies to all for the spam that was splattered on this thread.

Attached Thumbnails Install Arnott air bags when installing UPD camber/toe kit?-air-bag-leak-repair-1.jpg   Install Arnott air bags when installing UPD camber/toe kit?-air-bag-leak-repair-2.jpg   Install Arnott air bags when installing UPD camber/toe kit?-air-bag-leak-repair-3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Joshdrea (09-08-2016)