E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Intermittent humming from engine/gearbox?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E200
Intermittent humming from engine/gearbox?

Hi guys. first time poster here. I am having a (hopefully) small issue with my 2003 E200 auto. I bought it 2 days ago. The suspension is a bit creaky in the front, but i suspect the ball joints and possibly support arms need replacing. That's not the reason I am writing.

There is a humming, or very light grinding noise which at first, sounded like it was coming from the gearbox, but now I think it's in the engine bay. It happens usually in active gears, whether moving, or stationary. It is not constant and happens for about 2 seconds, usually when the gear is changed to D, N, and R. I havent noticed it happening in P, but it may be happening there too.

I am guessing anywhere between a failing transmission to faulty alternator, or loose belt. I'm confused. Any help appreciated.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:17 PM

W211 E200
Super. Thanks for all the very informative posts guys. I will be recommending this site to everyone.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Originally Posted by Goz83
Super. Thanks for all the very informative posts guys. I will be recommending this site to everyone.
The problem is it could be anything. Do you feel any vibration in the brake pedal when it hums? Then it could be the SBS Brake pump.

If you think it's a loose belt or such, that's easy enough to check yourself.

As to the creaking, suspect things like sway bar bushings. Again, easy enough for a good independent mechanic to check for you. If you find a good one, he can give your car a once-over and you'll have a good idea where you stand.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:14 PM

W211 E200
Originally Posted by wjcandee
The problem is it could be anything. Do you feel any vibration in the brake pedal when it hums? Then it could be the SBS Brake pump.

If you think it's a loose belt or such, that's easy enough to check yourself.

As to the creaking, suspect things like sway bar bushings. Again, easy enough for a good independent mechanic to check for you. If you find a good one, he can give your car a once-over and you'll have a good idea where you stand.
Thanks. Was beginning to think I would get no response. I haven't noticed any vibration through the brake pedal, but there has been some through the accelerator pedal when it is engaged lightly at about 5-10%

The car had a minor bump before I purchased it. The rear bumper and crash bar were damaged. As result, I got the car for €1500, which is half the price of the next cheapest E200 of the same year, here in Ireland. The repair is only costing me €220 in parts, paint and labour, because the body shop gets referrals from me and I built their website.

I just hope the whine/hum is something cheap to fix, because the suspension arm kits are going to cost me around €200. I can fit these myself though. When the car is out of the body shop, I will have the local mechanic chain give it a once over.