strange windshield wiper failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1986 190D 5spd
strange windshield wiper failure

05 e320 cdi.

This has happened twice both times seemingly random. First time was dry out second time raining. The wipers will not come on regardless of the position. Dont work with blinker on or door open/shut, nothing, as dead as if the motor was bad.
The washer fluid does not squirt when stalk is depressed and the auto dim/headlights feature fails as well. No warning lights.

This second time i played around turning car on then off then 3rd position hoping for some kind of response. Sure enough the wipers budged then stopped again. Then the washer spray starts to work then it fails again.
During this whole time the headlights are flickering as I flip the wipers switch on and off. I revved to 2k rpm for a bit to be sure this wasn't a voltage issue. No change.

Not sure what this can be, perhaps the Contoller Area Network is corruptedin some ffashion? I think im stuck until i can get it scanned....
Old 02-02-2015, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X5
Try get one scanner to diagnose the fault code.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:33 PM

1986 190D 5spd
Took it to indy who had star. He ran it and said that the front Sam was not communicating properly with the motor (code said something about "interrupted"). He said it could be either bad motor or the Sam itself.... He suggested I go to the dealer.

At this point I am a little bummed out as I really do not like to go to the dealer if I can help it. Should I pull the motor and test it? Perhaps that would rule out the SAM, or should I just take it in for a true diagnostics?

Headlight fluid worked with manual button, but if I pushed in stalk with high beams on it is only works sometimes.

I suppose 1 of 2 things are happening, the Sam is not communicating with everything wiper/washer related via the stalk due to SAM failture or short. OR the motor is failing and the SAM is protecting the entire operation by ceasing all functions within that procedure?

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:45 AM

1986 190D 5spd
Welp i slapped a new motor in and it did not resolve the issue. Does the can bus need to be reset or something after replacing a part? I guess i need to replace the stalk now? Weird.