E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Instrument cluster is dead on e350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350 4matic
Instrument cluster is dead on e350

Hello. I've got a 2007 e350 and my instrument cluster went completely dead yesterday. Everything still works (climate, turn signals, wipers, etc) but no gauges and no control of radio from steering wheel.

It seems that there is a long history of this happening with other models and Mercedes issued a recall and extended warranty for 2002-2006 c and s class cars. Anyone else have problems with the e class? Any word on mercedes doing something about this? Seems ridiculous that the gas gauge, temperature and speedometer malfunction and we would be out $1500 for it.

This is just like the melting of the tail light cords because mercedes didn't ground them. Then they issued a recall for c class and I've got the same problem and no help at all.

Thanks for sharing any information or advice.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
All said and done you drive a eight year old car----and of course you purchased an extended warantee as the car got older---correct---what's your beef---put a claim in and get on with your life!!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350 4matic
Originally Posted by Plutoe
All said and done you drive a eight year old car----and of course you purchased an extended warantee as the car got older---correct---what's your beef---put a claim in and get on with your life!!
What's my beef? I guess that Mercedes has had widely reported problems with instrument clusters going dead and brake lights dimming and going out, both expensive fixes. But whereas recalls and warranties have been extended on other models after sufficient uproar there has been nothing to cover the same problems for the w211. Just wait, in the next year thousands of these instrument clusters will go dead, just as happened with the improperly grounded tail light wires. Both are safety hazards. How many car makers have cars where the entire dashboard reliably goes black after less than 100,000 miles and it's not seen as a manufacturer's problem?