E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Wiring diagram for steering wheel phone buttons needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Wiring diagram for steering wheel phone buttons needed

I am looking for the wiring diagram for the steering wheel.
I want to make the phone answer and end buttons control some electronic cut-outs. It would be awesome if i could just hook up a canbus reader and do it with a relay timer but if i just have to get the actual wires I would want to get them from under the dash and not the actual steering wheel.
Any info would be great.
2004 e55 amg
Old 04-01-2015, 04:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Did you have any luck finding what you needed?

I have been hacking around on the CAN B network also looking to isolate the HEX code that identifies the steering wheel buttons, but not having much luck with the reader I am using. According to the W211 wiring diagrams, the steering wheel control module is connected to X30/4 cockpit CAN B hub on the AC box in passenger side footwell.

It's not hard to find, just remove the two torques head bolts that hold the cover under the glovebox. Then while standing on your head,, look up behind the glovebox and you will see it. A small strip or hub with like 5 sets of brown and brown with red stripe wires connected to it.

According to alldata diagrams, BN is CAN L and BNRD is CAN H. However I found mine seems to be the opposite. Baud rate should be 83k - 250k, but I've also connected at 500k.

Let me know if that works, cause I am not seeing any packets that relate to the wheel buttons. Could be wrong location, or the reader I am using also.

-KT
Old 04-01-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Try this site. http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

John