E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Remove your W211 bumper E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2015 | 06:52 PM

03 E500
Remove your W211 bumper E500

Ok I haven't found a good thread on how to take off your bumper, So here goes my best shot at one.

Lets start with the easy bolts on the top

[/I]

next I start to remove the grill insert it snaps into place. The best way I found to remove this is stick your hand in behind the grill to help unclip.

On both sides of grill are clips you cant reach from the back and you have to use a Flathead.

Here is a pic of the grill out these are the clips.

Here is me reaching in the back haha.

Removing the grill lets you access two bolts under the bumper. And take off your temp sensor.
I] was told this was a airbag sensor but when I unplug it my temp goes crazy ha ha (just being honest idk what it is it just has to unplugged)[/I]

both sides have one bolt.

Now you go the side of your car and find your wheel well. Remove a snap clip on the bottom and bolts holding the front of the plastic, Just enough to get your hand in thier. Both sides of the car.

You don't have to take your tire off but in my case I was doing brakes as well. But it is easier to get in behind the cover with the wheel off.

Now is the tricky part
On both sides of the bumper are like slide clips that hold the bumper to the fender. after removing a tq screw that holds them closed. you can take a Flathead/small pry bar to slide the clip off the bumper and your ready to pull your bumper off SLIGHTLY!!!!!

This is where about the clips are located.

I have a Pry bar to slide the clip out.

The clip rest in the groves. so when you pry the clip out push it toward the front of the car.

side view the fender and bumper fit into this clip.

Now pull your bumper straight out NOT TO FAR you have to Unclip your fog lights and side markers before you can take the bumper completely out .

I hope this helps out please put your two sense in if you have tips/trick to make it easier.
PS I took my bumper off to fix's my lights. I needed to get to the ballast. But there are two under the headlight anybody Know witch one is the low beam??

I think it is the yellow one ?
Old 03-14-2015 | 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
The ballast has the high-voltage symbol on it. The igniter is mounted to the back of the xenon bulb.

Good writeup and better title than the one I used to pull the bumper off of my car to install a PLM heat exchanger.
Old 03-16-2015 | 10:11 PM

2007 e350, 2013 C250, 2004 C320, 2003 C320, 1998 CLK 320
Thanks for posting. I tried last week to take the bumper off the wagon and couldn't get the plastic grill out. Seeing yours out and what the clips look like is a big help. I think I can get it out now... but, of course, I don't need to take the bumper off now. I'm sure this will come in handy in the future.