E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Command System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Command System

Just wondering why Mercedes didnt opt to make the COMMAND system a touch screen.
Seems like a no brainer to me... reuce the number of buttons on the center console and you could make the screen bigger.
Any comments on why this might not be such a good idea?
Old 03-21-2002, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Have you ever seen what a touch screen system looks like after a day of use ? Greasy Finger prints everywhere... That is my main pet peve with the touch screen system....
Old 03-21-2002, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by awiner
Have you ever seen what a touch screen system looks like after a day of use ? Greasy Finger prints everywhere... That is my main pet peve with the touch screen system....
Yeah i do... my current navigation system in my Acura CL type S is a touchscreen and its not as bad as most people think after touching it all day. It all depends on the coating on the screen surface.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:48 AM

1999 Porsche 911 Carrera
Will we have a choice in the US/Canada on the 'type of navigation' system? i.e. full comand system with large screen or the APS series they have now?

Also, I understand the navigation system will have many more features compared to the older one and will now be made by Harmon/Becker.

Anyone have more info?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 04-16-2002, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Its most likely a safety issue. By giving you more physical buttons, there's more commands you can do by feel, instead of taking your eyes off the road to look for the touch screen buttons. I too have a bit of experience with Acura's nav system, having driven a '99 3.5RL for a week. It does work extremely well, but I found that I kept having to take my eyes off the road just to read what my choices were, something that isn't necessary on the MB units.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by mbtech208
Its most likely a safety issue. By giving you more physical buttons, there's more commands you can do by feel, instead of taking your eyes off the road to look for the touch screen buttons. I too have a bit of experience with Acura's nav system, having driven a '99 3.5RL for a week. It does work extremely well, but I found that I kept having to take my eyes off the road just to read what my choices were, something that isn't necessary on the MB units.
I see what you mean and its true.. but once you get used to the system i can do most of it without looking at the screen.
Thanks for the response
Old 04-18-2002, 02:46 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Touch and go

When my Becker went out in my 450SL I had it replaced with a combination radio- pop out DVD/ TV Tuner that uses a touch screen. I'd easilly forego the convenience of buttons if Mercedes would include the option of a DVD/TV-Tuner as part of the Command System in the U.S. Unfortunately on newer Mercedes the factory equipped Command system doesn't lend itself to after market upgrades or alternatives when it comes to modifications to the audio/video system.

I do note though that on the new 500SL The European Command system from Mercedes does include a TV tuner and optional DVD. Since the photos of the European Command module only shows one of the buttons marked "TV" it may be that the Command Screen is touch sensitive in Europe for tuning and adjustments??? Anyone know?