E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

black button thing on each front door handle....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320 Sedan
black button thing on each front door handle....

I have seen this black button or something on each front door handle but dont know how to make it work or what it does. I have seen people with the same model just use the button to lock doors, I cant seem to do that with my.... Any help????
Old 03-25-2015, 02:16 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
W211 320CDI -04, W210 270CDI -01
This kind of 'button' (square next to key hole)?
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...s-img_4184.jpg

It's IR sensor of the remote lock...
Old 03-25-2015, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,173 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
If it's actually a button you can press, it's the keyless go lock button. If it doesn't work, it probably means the handle is bad or some part of the keyless go system isn't working. If it's just the square box, then that's the IR sensor, you hold the lock button or unlock button down to activate the summer opening/closing feature which rolls down all the windows and opens the sunroof or closes them all with one button push. If you have the button on the other doors, then it's the keyless go feature, there's just one IR sensor on the driver's side door handle. The handles range from $175-$200 depending on the color of the handle. There's a long DIY thread somewhere on replacing it, maybe just a half hour as it's just a couple of screws and a connector. Most of the time when the button doesn't work, it's the handle, but you could take it to the dealer and have them run star diagnostic on it to be sure, but they'd probably charge you an hour to diagnose it. My car is already on the 2nd set and it's a 2008, water gets in and seems to corrode the button. I think the newer models are better, seems like they went with a touch sensor so water wouldn't get inside the button.