E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Just in: E270CDI Avantgarde

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 270 CDI AVANTGARDE
Just in: E270CDI Avantgarde

I keep reading a lot of posts on american friends getting their U.S. spec E's, so I decided to make a contribution about my experience with my just arrived Euro spec E270CDI.

Coming from a W203 C class, the transition has been without major problems. Possibly the biggest and most welcome change is perceived quility. Plastics definately have a better feel, doors thump the way my parents Merc's did from by boyhood memories. Interior lighting is quite nice. Something I would like to get on my next car that would make this car feel in a totally different league is leather covered dash. I saw an E55 wagon with this option at the Bologna Motor Show and was really impressed by how different the car presented itself. Controls are where we've gotten used to...lights, windows, wipers, etc., all there in Mercedes tradition. I was prepared to have problems with the sensotronic brakes but thus far the ones installed on my car not only work flawless but also give good feedback. Parktronic displays are a bit different from the one I had on my C, but warning sounds remain the same, something that dissapointed me because I find them a little irritating. Bi-xenons are a big step up from regular xenons. The usual Continentals are a nice absence. I got W rated Goodyear NCT 5 Eagles. Probably not supercar material but a good performance/durability compromise. Car handles okay but still need getting used to it. Direction changes are a bit slower than my previous car that was actually quite a good handler, specially since I fit it with ZR rated Goodyear Eagle F1's. Airmatic suspension works great, but for the heck of it, would have liked one additional softer setting that could emulate the feel of great american 70's cruisers like Caddies. All in all the cabin feels luxurious, much unlike the big dissappointment I got from my other (obvious) choice I had before choosing my car: the WAY too plasticky and cheap feeling 5 Bimmer. New scratch resistant paint is there. Nice to know it just in case I need it. Nappa leather upgrade is worth paying for. Regular Mercedes leather almost feels like vinyl. Middle back seat is probable just adequate for a kid. As an adult, would not enjoy it at all. Might as well consider this car a four seater. Interior space is fine but expected more compartment room. Glove box and center console (specially if you have the phone) offer just the essential. HVAC works flawlessly. Comand is probably the single feature that deserves the most comments. Living in Europe, getting DVD based navigation up from the previous CD-Rom based navigation is simply fantastic. I find myself constantly driving to several countries and was a big bummer not being able to trace a route that included more than 1 country (=1 cd) at a time. I now have a big chunk of continent in one single DVD. Not bad at all. Another nice feature about the new system is the ability to see specific information like telephone numbers on special destination such as hotels and restaurants. More than once I found myself driving all the way to a place only to find out there were no rooms available or a closed restaurant. Knowing where everything is inside the Comand takes a little time but once the logic behind it is understood, everything falls into place. CD changer is slow and somewhat ackward because it almost interferes with the gear lever, but without discussion a big improvement from magazine loaded glove box/trunk installed changers. Top slot on top of Comand reads Video DVD's and supposedly (have not tried it yet) MP3 cd's. Wouldn't mind if changer had those same features. LAst point is Harman Kardon sound. Not an expert but other than surround, sounds not much different than my previous (regular) system. Not many settings for the sound either. Would enjoy some kind of equalizer, even with pre-set modes.

Well guys, that's my experience thus far. Can't talk about the engine yet because my car has only 300 km. I do know something about Diesel engines an can tell you torque is just great. My relatively low powered 177 bhp engine has torque somewhere up there between the gasoline powered 320 and 500. Top speed of 230+ km/h is (140+ mp/h) is more than adequate. Differently from the U.S. we regularly do have a chance to drive our cars here up to those speeds and even though it's nice to know we can, would have a hard time understanding paying the extra cash for more top speed and 0-60 acceleration if good old torque is all you need for regular highway driving.

I will take some pictures and post them as soon as I can. My car is Obsidian Black (C197) with charcoal interior. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:57 AM

'03 BMW 330i ZHP / '06 Volvo V70R
I agree with you and I've said it all along...

Unless you plan to take your car to the track, the Autocross, or just drive like a maniac with the rpm's over 5000 the whole time, then all you need is torque. Horsepower becomes largely irrelevant.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:11 AM

W211 270 CDI AVANTGARDE
Diesel is a much more useable engine and americans are going to enjoy them as much as europeans have since the arrival of common rail technology.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:40 AM

'03 BMW 330i ZHP / '06 Volvo V70R
Originally posted by Italian W211
Diesel is a much more useable engine and americans are going to enjoy them as much as europeans have since the arrival of common rail technology.
I agree. I can't wait for MBUSA to offer the E320 CDI wagon. I'll buy one the next day.