E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help identifying a part and other issues....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls55
Help identifying a part and other issues....

Hey everyone, picked up my car from service after a rack and pinion change on my car two weeks ago and today decided to look under my hood and guess what??!

Half of my engine cover is missing!! and I noticed this small metal crimp like connector was loose. In the second picture you can also see that two wires are also exposed.

What is the purpose of these wires and the connector? Are these wires supposed to be bare like this?

A month ago I had my plugs and O2 sensors replaced but my CEL seems to come on intermittently for code P0036. While my independent had the car, he told me the light was off but since I have got it the CEL light comes on intermittently. Sometimes when its off the next morning? Are these bare wires in the pictures causing a ground leading to the CEL to come on? After I removed the connector, started the car, my CEL was off and then after 15mins of driving my CEL came back on.

Heading to the dealer tomorrow but looking to all your helpful responses
Attached Thumbnails Help identifying a part and other issues....-img_6914.jpg   Help identifying a part and other issues....-img_6915.jpg  

Last edited by zubin.p; 06-01-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by zubin.p
Hey everyone, picked up my car from service after a rack and pinion change on my car two weeks ago and today decided to look under my hood and guess what??!

Half of my engine cover is missing!! and I noticed this small metal crimp like connector was loose. In the second picture you can also see that two wires are also exposed.

What is the purpose of these wires and the connector? Are these wires supposed to be bare like this?

A month ago I had my plugs and O2 sensors replaced but my CEL seems to come on intermittently for code P0036. While my independent had the car, he told me the light was off but since I have got it the CEL light comes on intermittently. Sometimes when its off the next morning? Are these bare wires in the pictures causing a ground leading to the CEL to come on? After I removed the connector, started the car, my CEL was off and then after 15mins of driving my CEL came back on.

Heading to the dealer tomorrow but looking to all your helpful responses
It is okay that those wires are showing, it's your camshaft campaign wiring harness. No biggie, however that missing engine cover?! INDEPENDENT ftw . #smh. I'm sure you'll be contacting them to recover your engine cover.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
My dealer forgot to reinstall the cover that goes over the master cylinder of in our 2013 ML during timing chain work.... if they forget that what else did they forget... They did send a person to my house to replace it though.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
i would never go back to that place again if I were you, of course after you get your engine cover back

hang on a minute, it took you 2 weeks after you had it serviced to open your bonnet?

Last edited by beejAMG; 06-02-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:15 PM

cls55
Originally Posted by beejaypunsalan
i would never go back to that place again if I were you, of course after you get your engine cover back

hang on a minute, it took you 2 weeks after you had it serviced to open your bonnet?
Heres a small background of the place and why I chose them...These guys (MB of Burlington) opened their dealership beginning of this year in my area and im not sure what sort of dealerships you are used to, but the facility is much more impressive than the Herb Chambers ones that I used to visit last year in my area. Not only that, my SA seems to be quite helpful in communicating with me without leaving me feelling anonymous. Also due to the distance, I decided not to go back to the Herb Chambers that I used to visit in previous years and resorted to a decent independent in my city for doing 2 coil packs, my plugs and O2 sensors earlier this year, he even gave me his personal B5 as a loaner!

I received a coupon in the mail for a 50% of any service from MB of Burlington and did not even realize they were in the area since they were new and I decided, why not get an oil change as I was due for it anyways (I know I should buy the pump and learn to do this myself lol) and thats where my SA told me about my power steering leak. Next thing you know, my warranty covered the replacement of my ac compressor and my entire rack and pinion ($4000 total) a part which is not common to fail on the W211, I made a thread earlier about it on here. The process of getting loaner cars and the cars themselves are also better than the ones Herb Chambers offered me. These guys are stocked with the 2015 C300, GLA250 and ML350 and they do not put a hold on my credit card. At Herb Chambers they gave me a 2010 C300 once and the other time a Nissan Altima!!!! and always put a hold of $300 which takes 3 days to clear - that is the biggest pain for me atleast.

Back on topic... The bottomline is that that MB of Burlington or my independent may or may not have made a mistake on their part by forgetting to put the cover back on but if they charge me for it, I will be disappointed but theres only so much I can do if I get into an argument with them. Sure if they left my car with scratches or something major broken I will be pissed and escalate the issue! Another thing is that, I recently made it out to Buffalo last week and I gave the car to valet at the hotel I was staying, did they pop the engine open and mess with it? Valets are known to joy ride in guests cars but then again it begs the question why would they in the first place? It was just the bottom half of the engine cover gone! So i'm in a fix because I cant point fingers since I made the mistake of not checking under the bonnet more regularly like I should.

My SA will be checking the P/N's on the O2 sensors on the car to see if my independent used a wrong part and il update this thread when I get more information from them.

Also thanks for identifying the wires in the pictures, my question is shouldn't the wires be better insulated according to the cam solenoid campaign? Apparently the connector in the pictures is a clip that holds the bottom half of the engine cover to the top half... this engine cover mystery is very weird!!!

Last edited by zubin.p; 06-02-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
Shhhhhhh...what did i say?

Last edited by beejAMG; 06-03-2015 at 03:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:14 AM

cls55
Originally Posted by beejaypunsalan
Shhhhhhh...what did i say?
Haha just overly elaborating thats all, im just pissed that I frequently used to check my oil levels and just this one time I slacked my covers gone missing

Anyways got the P/N for the sensor and need my independent to cross check the part on the car. Oh and the CEL is off and stayed off through my entire trip from the dealer?!!