E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Driver's seat problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e320 wagon, Volkswagen Passat Wagon, Dodge truck
Angry Driver's seat problems

I just purchased a 2004 e320 wagon with 122,000 miles. Previously I owned a 2001 wagon.

I could not get the seat to go all the way forward. I am only 5'4" and I can barely reach the brake and gas. I have tried the method of pushing the control all the way forward and holding it and then all the way back and holding it, but it did not change. Now it will not move at all and the memory buttons don't work either.

Help. I am unable to drive the car with the seat in it's current position. I don't know what I should do. The closest dealer is an hour and a half away.

Any help would be appreciated. I love these wagons and searched seven months for this one. (I had to drive the VW wagon for 7 months.)
Old 06-03-2015, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
SDS would be beneficial right now to look at some actual values and manually actuate the seat control module/seat motor, but by you not being able to drive that isn't exactly a option. Try disconnecting your battery for five minutes or so and see if that will reset the computers and maybe possibly allow you to move your seat forward. You could try sending power directly to the seat motor and see if it moves. Seems to me though you have a bad seat motor or your switchpack on your door is shorted. Do you feel or hear the seat trying to move or do anything at all when you actuate the buttons on your switchpack? If so, you probably have a blown fuse, if this is the case replace the fuse and it should work.... Temporarily that is. If the fuse keeps blowing, means you have a surge of electricity that is unwanted, i.e. open/short circuit/or something electrically faulty.

edit: there are rods that go into the seat motor that are inserted in your seat frame, they sometimes can come out of the frame and prevent it from moving, but if its not humming or trying to move one side of the seat at all, switch pack would be my guess.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 e320 wagon, Volkswagen Passat Wagon, Dodge truck
Thumbs up I got it to work!

Instead of disconnecting the battery, I disconnected the power from under the seat. When I reconnected, the seat worked. It also goes all the way forward and back.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:09 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Glad you got it to work. If the issue arises again, can take a look at this tech article here. Otherwise, glad it was something simple!

-Luccia