E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Replacing the crankshaft positioning sensor and might have gotten the wrong part

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350
Replacing the crankshaft positioning sensor and might have gotten the wrong part

Hello! This is my first post here. I got a check engine light on my 2006 E350 earlier this week after a mild stall (car shuddered, dash lights lit up, didn't fully lose power and drove home without incident). My code reader gave me the error codes for the crankshaft position sensor as well as the timing on the camshaft being overretarded. I replaced the problem solenoids on the camshaft today and plan on replacing the other two on the driver's side (more difficult to get to) this weekend. However, when I went to replace the CPS, I ran into trouble. I think I may have gotten the wrong part from Bosch. I know there are two; a two-pin and a three-pin piece. What I'm wondering is am I even looking at the right part, and if so, will the correct three-pin part fit?

This is the CPS I purchased: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

And this is the view of what I think is the CPS in my engine. It's in what seems like the right position, between the engine and transmission right before the flywheel. However it definitely has three pins and the connector just feels wrong on the replacement CPS I bought. I am guessing I need something like this:
Replacing the crankshaft positioning sensor and might have gotten the wrong part-x4lpczu.jpg
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=526&jpid=1

I will probably just buy the part from the dealer tomorrow, though, as I want the car for the weekend. Can somebody please confirm whether or not I'm looking at the right part? It certainly seems like it based on position, the parts available at that link and what I saw discussed online (single Torx bolt holding it in place). Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Replacing the crankshaft positioning sensor and might have gotten the wrong part-20150604_210453.jpg  
Old 06-05-2015, 01:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.eXY&cad=rja
Attached Thumbnails Replacing the crankshaft positioning sensor and might have gotten the wrong part-capture.jpg  
Old 06-05-2015, 01:48 AM

2006 E350
Thanks. That first part number matches the Rockauto one I was looking at with 3 pins. I'll obviously give my VIN number at the dealership, just wanted some assurance mostly because the clip that unplugs from the CPS in my car looks so different from the ones in all the threads and videos I've watched on changing them.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:49 PM

2006 E350
Just want to say thank you, called and verified the part number and replaced it on Friday. The guy in the parts department actually grabbed an air pressure sensor for tires, but I pointed out to him how it really didn't look like anything I'd seen online and he said someone must have thrown it in the wrong bin. Got the 3-pin sensor, replaced it (sustaining only minor cuts on my hands, I'll wear gloves next time) and have driven 150+ miles without incident. Woo!