E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Need diagnosis on W211 suspension/steering issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 07:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E350 Cab
Need diagnosis on W211 suspension/steering issue

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows what's causing the weird steering issue with my 2005 E500 W211, 86000 miles.

Car is exhibiting 3 symptoms.

1. Slight steering wheel "shimmy" when going forward in a straight line. I notice it. Wife does not.

2. Car seems to be more willing to turn left than right. Wife notices this too. It's as if the power steering works better on left turns.

3. Occasional pull to the left like an alignment issue, but intermittent. Sometimes it just happens, then it goes away for a while.

Talked to a mechanic and he said it's likely the lower ball joint(s), but that we might want to replace the whole wheel knuckle assembly to be safe.

In case it matters, the car had all 4 airsprings replaced at 80,000 and they seem to work fine as far as I can tell.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2015, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Tie rods, check the inners and outters for play. Your wheel bearing may have play as well which can be adjust in your driveway way. An alignment would be your best option. check your tire pressures. Not sure if you have a 2wd or 4matic but either way, check your ball joints for play, make sure your bushings in your control arms, 4matic, aren't dry-rotted or leaking and check your thrust arm bushings as well. There are alot of culprits as to why your car has the steering characteristics it does.... A lift and technician that knows a things or two about mercedes suspensions is your best bet!
Old 07-20-2015, 03:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E500; ML63; X5M; LR3
1 - Is the shimmy speed-sensitive? Acceleration-sensitive? Could be you notice when you are driving due to different characteristics. Check center support bearing AND bearing bracket. The bearing can look fine and the bracket can be bad... that happened to me. MB checked and passed the item, and an indy replaced and problem was fixed. It was difficult to tell it was damaged until actually pulling the part and looking at it. MB wanted to pull the transmission apart and insisted the bearing and bracket were fine.

3, and possibly 2 - Intermittent pull issue may be caster problem. Or maybe not. I had a similar issue and MB kept the car for a long time before telling me to replace the steering column. I didn't replace the column. I replaced the rear air springs (I see you have already done that), and my problem was corrected. One spring would intermittently lower and change the steering dynamics. MB had checked the springs and said they were fine and recommended new column and frame work...

Needless to say, the dealer in Qatar is absolutely horrible.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by Kamisama
1 - Is the shimmy speed-sensitive? Acceleration-sensitive? Could be you notice when you are driving due to different characteristics. Check center support bearing AND bearing bracket. The bearing can look fine and the bracket can be bad... that happened to me. MB checked and passed the item, and an indy replaced and problem was fixed. It was difficult to tell it was damaged until actually pulling the part and looking at it. MB wanted to pull the transmission apart and insisted the bearing and bracket were fine.

3, and possibly 2 - Intermittent pull issue may be caster problem. Or maybe not. I had a similar issue and MB kept the car for a long time before telling me to replace the steering column. I didn't replace the column. I replaced the rear air springs (I see you have already done that), and my problem was corrected. One spring would intermittently lower and change the steering dynamics. MB had checked the springs and said they were fine and recommended new column and frame work...

Needless to say, the dealer in Qatar is absolutely horrible.
lmao a new steering column they said... haha that is some funny stuff! I mean i guess it could happen but it just sounds suspect!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by RickyEarl
Talked to a mechanic and he said it's likely the lower ball joint(s), but that we might want to replace the whole wheel knuckle assembly to be safe.
!
Hey there---just curious, what was the estimate he gave you for the ball joint replacement?