E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

04 E320 Wagon 4m - air spring replacemtent - problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320 Wagon 4m
04 E320 Wagon 4m - air spring replacemtent - problem?

Hi All - I'm a long time reader, but now I need some advice. I recently bought a W211 (had 3 W210 wagons before) and as usual, have commenced to doing my own repairs.
I have a problem - (btw... my car does not have code 489 (airmatic) just the stock air springs) The spring on the right rear has a habit of leaking down over 24-48 hrs. Being 11yrs old with 156k, I decided to purchase a pair of the new Arnott bags. After about 2hrs, I had the one new air spring on the right rear installed, working on my shop floor with a floor jack and jackstands. When I started the car for the first time, the car lifted like it always does, but seems to be an inch shorter on the right side now. (the original spring is still in place on the driver's side) Also, for the first time, I have a dash warning indicator to "visit workshop" with an arrow indicating ride height. Do these replacement springs ride at a different height than the stock ones? If I replace the driver's side as well should the car level off properly or might it actually be a bit lower with these bags? And the warning indicator?? Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
sounds like you need a ride height adjustment. I haven't and probably never will have experience with arnotts. From what i've read though they are reliable and customer satisfaction is great. I'd get both arnotts installed and then check your ride height. Worst case scenario take your whip to advance or autozone and erase the codes. Hopefully your ride height will adjust when your airmatic pump and control unit see two of the same style bags ect installed.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:06 PM

2004 E320 Wagon 4m
Before I hurt myself or the car....

I successfully changed the leaking (deflated) air spring on my non-airmatic 04 E320 wagon. Tonight, I set out to change the remaining air spring, which has been working properly. I have the air line, and the electrical connections disconnected, but cannot seem to let the air out of the spring. I've read where some say a sharp object inserted in the orifice will work (didn't for me) and I read somewhere that I should put 12v across the solenoid connection and it will open the valve - which seems to make sense. MUST the air spring be deflated to safely remove the lower control arm bolts? The car is jacked up and supported, wheel is hanging (actually removed) and I'm cautiously paused.... Any thoughts / advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:42 PM

2004 E320 Wagon 4m
SOLVED! I Deflated the air spring

SO Simple! And BOY am I glad I did it! The one good remaining air spring was under pressure (this is a non-airmatic car) and I struggled with how to relieve the air pressure in the spring before attempting to remove it from the car. After disconnecting the air line and the electrical connector from the spring, I got my trusty little 12v power supply and a couple of 10 or 12 ga copper wires I had laying around. After stripping back the wires just a bit, I taped them together, side by side, forming my own double male "plug" Then, while holding my breath a bit, I inserted the copper wires (not touching each other) into the socket on the air spring. The 12v opened the internal solenoid and the air was released instantly.. I left it connected for maybe 30 seconds until all air had escaped, and sure enough, the lower control arm started to come up as well, so I now know it's safe to remove my shock and control arm bolts. So happy, no injuries, and all is well. YAY!