E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Different Suspension Problem?

Old 08-02-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
99 CLK430
Different Suspension Problem?

I've searched extensively for weeks and have found little to nothing on the issue that I'm having. If there is known info, please forgive me as I really get irritated at redundant postings.

Here's the situation with an 05 E500

Went out months back and the rear was sitting flat down. After researching, looked at new air bags, bad hose connections, etc but nothing seemed to really add up because of the specific conditions, which are:

Drive the car around town with no problems.
Leave the car sit in the drive for 3+ days (untouched) with no problems.
(long after "sleep mode")
Drive on the highway for any extended period of time and within minutes of parking, the rear is sitting noticeably lower and will end up sitting "bottomed out" after several hours of being parked.

It's never been one side only. From what I've been able to find, I'm thinking it's the rear leveling sensor, as this is automatically adjusted at highway speeds.

So, can anyone confirm my reasoning or give any other ideas? If it is the sensor, they run about $160, but I have no idea where it would be. I really don't want to throw new airbags at the problem like a couple of shops suggested without even hearing the specific symptoms.

It's been a while since I've been active around here but I appreciate anyone's input.