Water leaking behind passenger wheel arch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E500; ML63; X5M; LR3
Water leaking behind passenger wheel arch

2006 E500 interesting leak to diagnose.

Yesterday I drove for a couple hours from 0500. Outside temp very hot and humid. I ended up idling for an hour and had to leave the car on due to temperature. The car was parked at 0700. When I returned after work at 1800, the car was leaking behind passenger wheel arch and had apparently been leaking for some time. The fluid was clear, tasted a bit salty, and didn't have any smell, producing one drop at about 10 second intervals.

I took the car to a mechanic who said to not worry, and that it was only condensation. His only diagnostic activity was to look at the leak. I was a bit incredulous as it was a long time after the car had driven, but mechanic said it wasn't really unusual. I drove the car again in the evening and noticed a little more "water" had leaked as of this morning.

I'll check more tonight but just was wondering - is it unusual for that much water to leak for that long from condensation?
Old 08-18-2015, 07:37 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
When it is very hot and humid, you would be surprised a the amount of water that drips (or runs) from the condenser. Sometimes when I park my car in the garage, I will notice a dried water spot with a white ring around the spot, so the air must contain some salt, as in your taste. As long as the drain tubes are clear, the water you are seeing is perfectly normal. Also, sometimes, the water may sit in the bottom pan, so again, this is why you may be noticing it after the car sits for a while.
Mike T.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E500; ML63; X5M; LR3
Turns out to be the window washer reservoir. I haven't yet looked at it. Probably the O-ring I am guessing.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 W211 Bluetec / 1987 AMC Jeep MJ
I have exactly this issue with mine; for me it is the rubber hose that connects to the window washer pump has started to leak. It is an easy fix but it is a matter of having an hour to spare during daylight to address it with a short piece of hose.