E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Benz n00b

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350
Benz n00b

Hey guys, gals and those maybe in-between. Just recently bought an 06 e350 with the amg appearance package. Love the car, saw it across the highway for sale and bought it half an hour later. Car looks great, runs great and minus the annoying hum from the chopped tires it sounds great. Well, it could sound better with a little louder exhaust, but oh well. Anyways, yesterday while driving i turned at a light and goosed it a bit, stupid move on my part I'm sure, but I'm a simple creature.. Anyhoo, after the wheel turned straight my radio cut off, "display malfunction" and "srs malfunction" messages popped up in white. The cooling fan is now running full blast, which is nice and loud. Also, not sure if it's related, but the keyless go is now working intermittently and there is no buzzer reminding me to take my keys, and the beep from locking the doors has also stopped. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. If anyone could give me some advice/tips, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Old 11-09-2015, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Wait you broke traction a little bit off a turn and now half of the electronic functions on your car do not work? I can guarantee you that's not the direct cause of the malfunction, I know people with E500s, E550s, and E55s that beat the living hell out of their cars and do burnouts or drift constantly and they are fine.

Sounds like some kind of SAM or relay issue somewhere in the car, might be useful to take it to a mechanic with a STAR diagnostics computer that could pull codes and figure out which unit is faulty.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:02 PM

2006 E350
I thought it was odd too. A few days after getting it, i turned esp off after it had rained (just to see how it'd slide) slid fine and no issues from that. Now esp won't even turn off after all of this crap. I've been worried since i got it that I'd end up getting effed and have to dump thousands of dollars into it.. Looks like i found a new place to dump my money
Old 11-09-2015, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
If you're having multiple symptoms like you mentioned, it's likely one cause, some kind of unit or something went bad at an inconvenient time. I'd recommend just getting it diagnosed via STAR should tell you pretty quickly.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:06 PM

2006 E350
Yeah I'll definitely get it up and have it checked out. Thanks for the input
Old 11-10-2015, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
For sure, I've never had this issue so I can't speak to it. Sounds like some kind of control unit failure, I'm sure there's someone here like Plutoe that knows what those symptoms point to, but in any case it's just a guess from us not a diagnosis.

The only issue I had that was somewhat similar was a steering angle sensor that went bad and would cause ESP and a few other electronic safety systems to fail since the car was receiving a bad signal from that unit.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:26 AM

2006 E350
Wishful thinking, but by any chance could it just be a faulty stop lamp switch? I keep seeing that people are having or had issues with those crapping out and weird happenings due to it. How much was the steering angle sensor fix? I know I'm starting to sound needy, but I'm at a complete loss when it comes to fixing a Mercedes.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I read about the stop switch statistics and now have spare one.
$12 at friendly stealer.
Easy way to start the repairs, but symptoms also show some kind of power distribution problem.
Clean and re-torque battery connections.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by Dstainton
Wishful thinking, but by any chance could it just be a faulty stop lamp switch? I keep seeing that people are having or had issues with those crapping out and weird happenings due to it. How much was the steering angle sensor fix? I know I'm starting to sound needy, but I'm at a complete loss when it comes to fixing a Mercedes.
Quite possibly!!!! Are you brake lights on at all times?

If you have a 4matic, wonder if one of your wheel speed sensors are faulty... front ones are the ones that typically go bad, first.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
really it doens't matter if it's 4matic or not. But ones i've replaced always seemto be on 4matic vehicles....
Old 11-10-2015, 07:32 PM

2006 E350
Definitely going to clean and tighten up the battery terminals. As far as i know, my brake lights come on and turn off as they should, but i know brake switch errors are sometimes hit or miss when it comes to turning on/ turning off the lights. Don't have 4matic, but the speed sensor did come to mind. I don't know, hopefully it's nothing too major. Cruise control isn't working either. Just figured that out this morning. That cooling fan on full blast is awful annoying too. Hopefully that problem will go away once i figure out what's causing all the other problems
Old 11-10-2015, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
I had my brake light switch go out and I didn't have any of those errors, the only thing that would happen is again ESP malfunction and sometimes it wouldn't shift out of park as a safety precaution. Cruise control is based on ESP so if ESP or any other safety system is offline it will not allow you to engage cruise control. The symptoms of display and SRS malfunction do make me think it is a power issue like someone mentioned, again you should probably hook up STAR Diag.

Wheel speed sensor might be a culprit, never had that issue before but seems reasonable.