E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Fuel Filters Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Fuel Filters Replacement

I've posted two photos in my last posting of the replaced gas tank's fuel sending - filter unit.......if you never seen what this unit looks like, check out the photos below.......pretty complicated!

My vehicle is at my local Benz dealer for an oil/filter change and other repairs. The right side view mirror heating element went out (no defrosting) so that's being replaced......expensive glass unit $295. I'm also having the two fuel filters that are located in the fuel sending unit on top of the fuel tank replaced. You remove the back seat to access the fuel tank. The MB Maintenance Guide states replace these two filters every five years or every 60,000 miles and I've never had it done, so guess it's about time.......expensive $677. At least I'll get a 15% discount on these repairs. I asked my service rep to have the old filters retained for my inspection......I'm curious what they look like and how badly they're deteriorated after 13 years! Those of you that have older E Class (W211 vehicles 2003 or newer), have you had your fuel filters ever replaced?

Last edited by mcleantmw; 11-20-2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Photos of Gas Tank Sending - Filter Unit
Old 11-19-2015, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
It all depends how clean fuel you get.
our ML320 sold at 150k with factory fuel filter.
Did you check the fuel tank recall? You might get whole pump with filters in it replaced for free.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by mcleantmw
My vehicle is at my local Benz dealer for an oil/filter change and other repairs. The right side view mirror heating element went out (no defrosting) so that's being replaced......expensive glass unit $295. I'm also having the two fuel filters that are located in the fuel sending unit on top of the fuel tank replaced. You remove the back seat to access the fuel tank. The MB Maintenance Guide states replace these two filters every five years or every 60,000 miles and I've never had it done, so guess it's about time.......expensive $677. At least I'll get a 15% discount on these repairs. I asked my service rep to have the old filters retained for my inspection......I'm curious what they look like and how badly they're deteriorated after 13 years! Those of you that have older E Class (W211 vehicles 2003 or newer), have you had your fuel filters ever replaced?
What you should of done is complained about a fuel smell. You would of got a warranty tank replaced and or sending units replaced under warranty.... tisk tisk...
Old 11-19-2015, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

actually if yours is a2003 you would of gotten a whole tank....
Old 11-19-2015, 09:04 PM

This is what the E Series W211 Fuel Unit Looks Like

Originally Posted by kajtek1
It all depends how clean fuel you get.
our ML320 sold at 150k with factory fuel filter.
Did you check the fuel tank recall? You might get whole pump with filters in it replaced for free.

Thanks for the input. I did ask my MB Dealer Service Advisor about the fuel tank recall issue. He said it's not a recall but a warranty extension on my car to 2018 to replace the fuel tank if it leaks or has a serious gas odor......none of these have applied to my fuel tank so far. But I'm glad to know that if the tank develops any leak it will be replace at no cost up until 2018.

Wow - My vehicle for many years had a 2 - 3 second accelerator delay when I needed to obtain a major gas acceleration while driving on the open road......bothered me a lot and a slight safety hazard too. Now that this fuel sender - filter unit has been replaced, that solved this acceleration issue.......instant response from the gas peddle to the engine now! This was definitely worth the expense. I know I would have gotten a free gas tank with this unit installed under the extended warranty good until 2018 but my vehicle's gas tank was not leaking and had no gas odor
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Filters Replacement-pict0186.jpg   Fuel Filters Replacement-pict0189.jpg  

Last edited by mcleantmw; 11-20-2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Photo of Fuel Sending - Filter Unit
Old 11-28-2015, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the input. I did ask my MB Dealer Service Advisor about the fuel tank recall issue. He said it's not a recall but a warranty extension on my car to 2018 to replace the fuel tank if it leaks or has a serious gas odor......none of these have applied to my fuel tank so far. But I'm glad to know that if the tank develops any leak it will be replace at no cost up until 2018.

Wow - My vehicle for many years had a 2 - 3 second accelerator delay when I needed to obtain a major gas acceleration while driving on the open road......bothered me a lot and a slight safety hazard too. Now that this fuel sender - filter unit has been replaced, that solved this acceleration issue.......instant response from the gas peddle to the engine now! This was definitely worth the expense. I know I would have gotten a free gas tank with this unit installed under the extended warranty good until 2018 but my vehicle's gas tank was not leaking and had no gas odor
UPDATE: The other improvement from the fuel sender/filter unit replacement is that the transmission shifts better too. Amazing how replacing a certain repair part not only cause that function to work better but also has a improvement impact to other vehicle functions and operations.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am always gaining huge acceleration improvement after vacuuming the carpets
Placebo effect is in our instincts and even paying attention to not fall in it, I often do.
Although if your engine was starving for fuel in the past and now get to rpm faster, it will affect the shifting.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
After replacing the fuel pumps and sender on my 55... I can attest that the car is substantially faster....
Old 12-02-2015, 11:49 AM

How ironic.......my car stalled yesterday on the road and was towed to a MB Dealer for service. Turns out that the fuel pump just died at 159,000 miles. They checked for fuel leaks around the pump seal and around the tank and found none so I can't get the free warranty service.......too bad for me! Another $800 repair job! Oh well, with a 13 year old vehicle it's to be expected that things will eventually fail......one of the downsides to my plan to keep my vehicle operating for 20 years.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would ask to get the old pump back.
On our ML55 about 6 years old fuel pump burned electrical connectors inside the tank (yes, fire inside the gas tank, but no oxygen to make mushroom cloud).
I replaced the pump, but later notified MB USA about the incident. They refunded me cost of the pump taking the old one.
The car was long past warranty, but I guess MB USA doesn't like that kind of publicity.
Good luck.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How ironic.......my car stalled yesterday on the road and was towed to a MB Dealer for service. Turns out that the fuel pump just died at 159,000 miles. They checked for fuel leaks around the pump seal and around the tank and found none so I can't get the free warranty service.......too bad for me! Another $800 repair job! Oh well, with a 13 year old vehicle it's to be expected that things will eventually fail......one of the downsides to my plan to keep my vehicle operating for 20 years.
Not sure what dealer you are taking your vehicle to, hope it isn't HBL . I can speak for my dealer, we aren't searching for leaks. if customer states fuel is being smelled then the appropriate steps according to the vmi, new tank or new sending units, is performed. If it states replace the sending units only then that is what gets done. Your service advisor is a DB, he could of changed your complaint to fuel smell instead of tow in/no start. If it gets towed in because it doesn't start or doesn't run you at that point are not eligible for the warranty, again your service advisor.....
Old 12-02-2015, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kajtek1
but I guess MB USA doesn't like that kind of publicity.
Good luck.
Unless it is SBC related ...