Multiple misfires - code 300 and others

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
Multiple misfires - code 300 and others

*sigh*

MORE problems. I can't even take the dam car to the dealer to trade it in and get rid of it!

As I said in my last thread (engine cranks, no start...), it left me stranded. I got it running but had to leave it at my other house because I do not trust it to get me the 130 miles back home. It ran smooth when I left it 2 weeks ago in the driveway there.

NOW, it's misfiring on random cylinders. Codes are 300 with, most often, 304 and one other cylinder. Either #1, #3, or #5. So I get codes like 300, 301, 304. Or 300, 304, 305.

I replaced the plugs but it still gives me the same codes after clearing them. Engine idles rough, shakes, and has no power but runs up. I don't think it's coil modules because it appears to be random cylinders that are misfiring and then run fine. Plugs smell of gas when removed after the misfire and are wet.

I'm thinking either a bad crank position sensor or bad gas. The gas is the same as when it died on the freeway 2 weeks ago but 2 tanks different than when I had it fixed for the stuck injectors and a misfire on #4 a month or so ago.

Any ideas on what to look at next? I have 2 wires that go down the passenger side front of the engine - purple and white - that go to somewhere near the harmonic balancer. Are these the crank position sensor wires? What's the procedure to replace the sensor?

I swear, I shoulda bought a Chevy...
Old 12-05-2015, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
Thought of another possibility.

The car had a gas smell after the last repair for the stuck injectors. I thought that it was spilled gas evaporating and mostly ignored it since it wasn't that strong of an odor.

Now, I understand that the fuel pump/filters have some sort of problem that Mercedes has to warranty?

Is it possible that my pump/filters are causing this problem? I don't see how but...