E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Symptoms of bad Valve Block

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350
Originally Posted by Amarachi Eze
I need help fast and urgent as I'm at the verge of making a mistake...
my w164 airmatic had a leak on front passenger side and I changed it and from then...it has been running constantly only when I'm driving..

The level is always normal even after parked for 3days or more...but when I turn on the car...the compressor runs for a few seconds and stops...

My concern is why the compressor runs when I drive and stops when I slow down or stop.

I have changed the compressor yesterday and the problem won't go away...

I think I might end up burning up the compressor if I don't find the problem..
i also scanned with a machine and even calibrated the entire system yet the problem persist.

I changed relay to hella yet it remains..

Pls help..
Did you ever get this fixed? I have a similar issue
Old 03-17-2022, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320
Originally Posted by Rob P.
Without more detail about what you're talking about, all I can say is:

It won't hold air and the suspension will go down. You won't hear air escaping because it will be slow and the compressor acts like a muffler to silence any possible noise.

If you suspect the valve block and your suspension goes up but won't stay up, remove the short compressor hose from the block and use soapy water on the fitting. If it's leaking you'll get bubbles. If you don't get bubbles, it isn't leaking back through the valve block and your problem is elsewhere.

Beyond that, we need to know what's going on with your system. The most likely cause for a non functioning airmatic system is a blown airbag, blown rear shock, bad/worn compressor, or cracked line. Some of the early systems developed a crack on the reservoir tank seam but those should have all been taken care of by now. So the problem is usually not the block though it's always possible.
hey I have. 2003 e302 I disconnected Frye line going to the valve block and sprayed soapy water in there and it made a bubble that got bigger and popped is that normal or does that mean it’s bad it did it every time I sprayed the back slams over night
Old 03-28-2022, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320
Same problem possibly

Originally Posted by Rob P.
Without more detail about what you're talking about, all I can say is:

It won't hold air and the suspension will go down. You won't hear air escaping because it will be slow and the compressor acts like a muffler to silence any possible noise.

If you suspect the valve block and your suspension goes up but won't stay up, remove the short compressor hose from the block and use soapy water on the fitting. If it's leaking you'll get bubbles. If you don't get bubbles, it isn't leaking back through the valve block and your problem is elsewhere.

Beyond that, we need to know what's going on with your system. The most likely cause for a non functioning airmatic system is a blown airbag, blown rear shock, bad/worn compressor, or cracked line. Some of the early systems developed a crack on the reservoir tank seam but those should have all been taken care of by now. So the problem is usually not the block though it's always possible.
I have a 2003 e320 aromatic so when I remove the hose that hoes from the block theater should be no air coming out of blcok correct?