Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
R1 Concepts - Updated Review and StopTech Pads

Hey Everyone,

It's a bit overdue, but I wanted to post some impressions about R1Concepts rotors and the Stoptech Street Performance pads they recently sold me. This was the original brake setup on my car when I first got it - I upgraded to StopTech pads and their premium rotors. Now, I'm on my second set of brake pads about two years later, needless to say I like driving (fast).

The cross-drilled rotors on the front and back are still going strong, and the new brake pads aren't producing any noise/squeaks, while delivering excellent initial bite and secure feel even in mountain driving. Seeing as how the E550 4-Matic has some pretty big brakes, only second to the E63 of the same year, it's expected that tires are often out performed by this setup. I'm on my winter tires and winter TSW Mugellos right now so this is definitely true even for a UHP winter tire. I chose StopTech pads initially because they gave better braking power in comparison to OEM and Akebono pads, while being way better on dust (less of it and easier to get off). The rotors were an easy choice since they offered a great warranty and cross-drilled option for all four corners of my car.

Now that I'm on my second set of pads and the original rotors, I can definitely say I recommend R1Concepts rotors and these pads to anyone with a W211. Minimal fade and really impressive longevity thus far. R1Concepts is a pleasure to deal with as a company. Make sure to take advantage of their forum pricing - it's really quite the discount and a perk of being an MBWorld member. They will put a rotor/pad package for you together to ensure proper fit. Shipping is also fast and painless. Plus they sent some really sleek stickers along as well

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 12-10-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:16 PM

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
14 550 sedan
Wonder if they offer any Christmas discounts, I'm in need of a set soon. How many miles are you getting out of them?

Also, fancy new wheels?
Old 12-12-2015, 12:10 AM

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Got my R1 premium cross drilled and slotted. Got 20% off for black Friday, that with the SBC brakes they stop hard. This is the third set I have bought from them the six set I have installed on various vehicles. I am the only one who has gotten the premium though. Well worth the money. Nothing is without pics.

Stock

Empty

Inside

Front Installed

Pads

Rear
Old 12-12-2015, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Looks good CDIJeff! I think they offer drilled and slotted now, for 4-Matic models I think they only had cross-drilled when I first purchased my premium rotors from them.

Originally Posted by LemonSqueezy
Wonder if they offer any Christmas discounts, I'm in need of a set soon. How many miles are you getting out of them?

Also, fancy new wheels?
I'd ask the dealer on the forum (Kevin from R1Concepts I think it is) if they have any discounts. Usually forum pricing will go deep enough though, it's probably the best deal you can get based on my previous research. Not sure on mileage, I'd have to check, but considering how I drive my car I'm impressed I got a few years out of them. As for the wheels, TSW Mugellos for winter. The wheels in my signature are now trashed, and I'm considering some TSW Bathursts in gunmetal gray for my summer set. The fitment/offset on these winter wheels are terrible but 1) it makes winter tires a bit cheaper for 225s 2) Got them brand new in box for less than half what they are retail, very strong wheel so I'm happy. Yet, the E550 might not be long for my garage based on some recent developments so these wheels might go with the car. I'd DM you the whole story if you're curious.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:20 PM

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
14 550 sedan
Finally getting into that biturbo v8 soon?
Old 12-17-2015, 07:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
N/A
Glad to hear the rotor and pads are working our great on your car! We appreciate the review as well
Old 12-20-2015, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320
Do they have an upgrade for base 03 e320
Old 12-20-2015, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Yeah I believe they have pads and rotors for the 03 E320, I'd recommend DMing their account on here or checking their website.

And absolutely R1, I expect to be a loyal customer for years to come based on my driving style