E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Panorama Sunroof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 S550
Panorama Sunroof

I have an '06 E500 that has been great...very few problems....but, about a month ago, my panorama sunroof would not close....just the grinding of the motor. Didn't sound too good. I found some interesting videos on YouTube on how to diy-it, but with the motor costing almost $500 and never having removed a headliner, etc. I was concerned about what happens if I could not make the repair...hate to then head to the dealer with part in hand and have to pay the $4,000 that was estimated by the dealer (my car is only worth about $9K at this point anyway). So, looked in my manual and saw how to close the roof manually and with a little effort with the key, got it closed. But the inside liner would not close....just the grinding of the motor.
Called the dealer to see if there was a manual way to close the inside liner and was told no. Kept looking for a solution as it is still hot here in Texas with the sun coming through the glass.
Finally, I found in the owner's manual how to "reset" the sunroof after manually closing. I pulled the two fuses (41 in the passenger compartment box and 9 in the trunk box) and reseated them. Closed the fuse boxes, turned on the key AND...my sunroof closed inside and now works fine. So, in case you have this problem...try this quick remedy...it may work for you too.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
The motor should not cost 4k... Had mine replaced for about $750 by dealer under warranty.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:04 AM

2017 S550
According to the information supplied to me by a local MBZ specialty shop, there are two motors in the panorama sunroof. The combined cost if both motors have to be replaced is about $1,100 for the parts. The estimate on the labor depending on who quotes it is 6 plus hours and at $94 per hour, that is another $600 plus and additional parts depending on what has to be replaced...guides, etc. So, I was quite surprised when the dealership quoted me $4,000, but according to my service advisor, that is the worst case scenario. So, if you got yours done under warranty for $750, you win. My car has 119K miles and there is no warranty.

Ive decided to just continue to enjoy the car and when something else major happens, get a replacement....I don't really mind a few hundred dollars here and there, but to spend $4K on a car that has a blue book rating of only $9K makes no sense.

Thanks for your input though.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E550
You could also try this method. Worked on my 550 when it was stuck opened

Old 12-24-2015, 06:53 PM

2017 S550
Closed now

I tried that option some time ago. All that happened was the same grinding of the motor.
I plan just to leave it closed permanently. Thanks for your input though.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
4000 is including the entire frame/tracks assembly which is almost never needed when its just the grinding motor sound. just need the 2 motors and only need to drop the front section of the headliner to get to them. it can be done in 1-2 hours if you are good and probably 3-5 if you never done it before.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:35 PM

2017 S550
Understand, but I am a golf guy and not much of a mechanic...have done some repair on my own, but pulling down the rear view mirror, control panel, visors, then the headliner and not necessarily having the tools causes me considerable concern. If it were just pulling screws and replacing, not a problem... I have replaced fog lamps, and some other small repair, but my concern is what might happen IF I cannot get everything back in perfect order, or cannot get to the motors to install. I had back surgery about three months ago and just cannot get into awkward positions anymore. It could end up costing me more on top of the start of the repair. I am just as happy to leave the roof closed. I only use it in spring and fall anyway and I may trade the car in the next 24K miles anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion...by the way, my dealer quoted $6500 for the complete replacement of the sunroof rails, pullys, motors, etc.