E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Active/Adaptive Headlamp Warning?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E350
Active/Adaptive Headlamp Warning?

First post, I tried searching but no luck, maybe there is some MB jargon for it I'm not aware of...

Anyways...

I'm trying to buy an 05 E500 from a random used car dealer and there is currently a warning message on the dash for Adaptive (or active) Headlamps, they said they would have the issue fixed and message cleared before I picked it up. I just got a call saying they couldn't figure it out. I can either go pick up the car or my money.

Any ideas of what is actually wrong and how to fix it and/or estimate?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
What's the VIN? Sounds like it might have the bixenons with the active curve illumination. They auto level and the beams turn side to side. Could be the wiring for the auto level or the motors for the active headlamps. You should get a bigger discount if they can't fix it. Search some of the older threads and in other forums for those words I mentioned earlier. If it's the headlamps, parts can be 600-800 each per lamp plus labor. Maybe cheaper on ebay or a junkyard. What do the lights do at night? On mine, I believe they start up by pointing at the ground, then look left/right and then they auto level and point straight ahead. If you search the threads for the auto level, I don't think it's too bad. It's probably worse if it's the motor.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:57 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
'13 E350 . M276
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
What's the VIN? Sounds like it might have the bixenons with the active curve illumination. They auto level and the beams turn side to side. Could be the wiring for the auto level or the motors for the active headlamps. You should get a bigger discount if they can't fix it. Search some of the older threads and in other forums for those words I mentioned earlier. If it's the headlamps, parts can be 600-800 each per lamp plus labor. Maybe cheaper on ebay or a junkyard. What do the lights do at night? On mine, I believe they start up by pointing at the ground, then look left/right and then they auto level and point straight ahead. If you search the threads for the auto level, I don't think it's too bad. It's probably worse if it's the motor.
I've got the bi-xenon lights and I had my car scanned and this is what came up: Fault Code 9020 (Right headlamp range adjustment motor) or the lead is faulty.

I've checked for stiffness and cleaned around it, but to no avail. Looks like I need a new adjustment motor. It's a very small motor, and I'm wondering if it's easy to replace. Had same message for left side as well. Here's a link on same topic:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ad-lights.html

I'm wondering if OP was able to obtain any fault codes!

Last edited by Stuttgarten; 12-23-2015 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Adding Link
Old 12-29-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E350
After inspecting it further one of them looked like it was trying to do the dance at startup but looks like a cog kept slipping in the motor. I tried turning the wheels to full lock a few times but that didn't help.

Once I told the dealer what the problem actually was the dealer was unwilling to fulfill their promise to fix it. There were a few other hiccups along the way that hinted that they were shady, so I ended up getting my money back.

Thanks for the help, that thread linked above was helpful.