E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

'04 W211 won't start - has new fuel tank, MAP sensor and wiring - help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 E55, '95 F355, '97 Landcruiser, '01 360, '04 Continental GT, '07 Gallardo
'04 W211 won't start - has new fuel tank, MAP sensor and wiring - help!

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone else has had an intermittent problem with their car not starting like mine. Within the last month it has received a new MAP sensor (code said it was bad) by my indie mechanic, and a new fuel tank, two new fuel pumps and new wiring under warranty from MBZ (the third time I believe since it was new in 2004) from a local dealer.

The issue is that sometimes (after a long time sitting ie overnight) it will not start up immediately but instead cranks and cranks. After releasing the key it will usually start on the second or third try. But the problem got so bad that the car refused to start at all, and so I took it in to my mechanic.

At first my mechanic thought it was a MAP sensor because the car was throwing a code saying that it was bad. When that didn't solve the problem he tested the fuel pump and claimed the valve was defective allowing fuel to flow from the lines back into the tank overnight. The dealer agreed and replaced the tank and two pumps under warranty (they said MBZ wants the whole system replaced, not just one defective pump).

The morning the car was to be picked up from the dealer by one of my family members I received an odd e-mail from my service advisor. He said: "Hello, when the vehicle was picked up it did not start. Went down to the gas tank and found the wiring was all messed up. Could have been from the bad fuel pump or just old wiring, but we repaired the wires and vehicle is ok. Just wanted to show you the picture."

He didn't state what exactly that wiring was (see pic). In any case a couple weeks later the car has now started doing the exact same thing - sometimes it will start right up, but other times it will crank and crank and - nothing.

Any ideas? My immediate plan is to take it back to my indie and have him open up the rear seat to see if it looks like the dealer did indeed actually replace the pumps and tank (no, you can't be too paranoid lol).

POSSIBLY RELEVANT: The car is an '04 E55 and has keyless go. It has 143K miles on it - I've owned it for 10 years and since it had 27K miles on it - had many mechanical and electrical gremlins to solve over the years but this problem is a new one. The prior fuel tank replacements were for the famous gas smell - but not for failing to start. I've maintened it to the 9th degree and all factory recommended fluids and filters are up to date.

Last edited by calisnow; 12-26-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Dealer is responsible since they agreed fuel pump and wiring was your problem they should revisit to diagnose problem correctly at no cost even if it is ultimately found to be unrelated to tank replacement.

Last edited by konigstiger; 12-26-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:40 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
I agree take it back to the dealer for diagnosis of issue, at no cost to you
Old 12-28-2015, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by calisnow
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone else has had an intermittent problem with their car not starting like mine. Within the last month it has received a new MAP sensor (code said it was bad) by my indie mechanic, and a new fuel tank, two new fuel pumps and new wiring under warranty from MBZ (the third time I believe since it was new in 2004) from a local dealer.

The issue is that sometimes (after a long time sitting ie overnight) it will not start up immediately but instead cranks and cranks. After releasing the key it will usually start on the second or third try. But the problem got so bad that the car refused to start at all, and so I took it in to my mechanic.

At first my mechanic thought it was a MAP sensor because the car was throwing a code saying that it was bad. When that didn't solve the problem he tested the fuel pump and claimed the valve was defective allowing fuel to flow from the lines back into the tank overnight. The dealer agreed and replaced the tank and two pumps under warranty (they said MBZ wants the whole system replaced, not just one defective pump).

The morning the car was to be picked up from the dealer by one of my family members I received an odd e-mail from my service advisor. He said: "Hello, when the vehicle was picked up it did not start. Went down to the gas tank and found the wiring was all messed up. Could have been from the bad fuel pump or just old wiring, but we repaired the wires and vehicle is ok. Just wanted to show you the picture."

He didn't state what exactly that wiring was (see pic). In any case a couple weeks later the car has now started doing the exact same thing - sometimes it will start right up, but other times it will crank and crank and - nothing.

Any ideas? My immediate plan is to take it back to my indie and have him open up the rear seat to see if it looks like the dealer did indeed actually replace the pumps and tank (no, you can't be too paranoid lol).

POSSIBLY RELEVANT: The car is an '04 E55 and has keyless go. It has 143K miles on it - I've owned it for 10 years and since it had 27K miles on it - had many mechanical and electrical gremlins to solve over the years but this problem is a new one. The prior fuel tank replacements were for the famous gas smell - but not for failing to start. I've maintened it to the 9th degree and all factory recommended fluids and filters are up to date.

Maybe your rear sam-check the relay for your pumps-may be intermittently sticking causing a crank only... just something to check!