M272 Exhaust Camshaft Timing Adjuster Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350 Wagon, 2006 Ford F350, 2013 Hyundai Genesis
M272 Exhaust Camshaft Timing Adjuster Noise

Hello,

I have a 2006 E350 with a M272 in it, a valve spring broke and I had to remove the head and replace valve, spring and rocker.

This was in February, at the time I did not replace the lifters. After reassembly the engine started to make a noise at start up (not at first, it started on the second day), at first it took over night and then became quicker and quicker for the noise to occur. It sounds like a collapsed lifter, lasts about 10-15 seconds and once oil pressure is established it disappears, just like a lifter would.

I replaced all lifters today but the noise persists.

Now I'm thinking it might be the camshaft timing adjuster, probably exhaust, (though I never missed to insert the pin when I removed it).

Timing is spot on and engine runs fine. But the start up noise is embarrassing and I would like for it to be gone again.

Does anyone here know for certain how leaking adjusters sound when they leak down?

Is there a way to rebuild them, I don't feel like spending $600 for a new one.

I'm thinking I must have made a mistake since it started after my repair, I checked everything and can't find my mistake (open for suggestions).

I also need the torque specs for the exhaust cam, I only found the intake with 145Nm. Is the exhaust the same?

Thanks for looking!