E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Homelink problem..Need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'16 528i MSport
Homelink problem..Need help!

I've been tryin' to get the homelink system to work. I have went to the Homelink website and followed their instructions. I even bought the service advisor to my home to help me with it and it still wasn't workin. I have that rolling code garage opener and they gave me a number to call. Still to no avail have i been able to program that damn homelink!!

Anyone experiencin' the same problem? Can anyone help me!
Old 02-22-2004, 11:51 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Thumbs up Re: Homelink problem..Need help!

Originally posted by DaCeptak0n
I've been tryin' to get the homelink system to work. I have went to the Homelink website and followed their instructions. I even bought the service advisor to my home to help me with it and it still wasn't workin. I have that rolling code garage opener and they gave me a number to call. Still to no avail have i been able to program that damn homelink!!

Anyone experiencin' the same problem? Can anyone help me!
It's funny that a critical step is missing from the W211 instruction manual as well as homelink user guide.

Give this a try

1) First, erase the memory within your homelink buttons by pressing buttons 1 and 3 at the same time. This done while your key's in the ignition at position 2. Hold buttons for around 20 secs until it blinks quickly
2) With a good working remote, point it close to your homelink controls within the car, hold the button on homelink you wish to program and at the same time, press on the button on your good working remote. Hold on to the button until it blicks quickly. This trains your homelink the rolling code needed
3) Now your homelink is trained, press the training button on your garage head unit. While the LED is blinking on the garage head unit, press the homelink button you trained earlier 3 times. Your garage head unit will now learn about your homelink unit in your car.

Give it a try. I have been buffled with user guides from different auto makers .... all of them missed step 2. With the above mentioned technique, I have trained my Honda, BMWs and Mercedes.

Good luck
Old 02-23-2004, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
hey i had a problem just like you, hopefully this will work. go to the third page, and its the second post on there, its by me. it will explain exactly what you have to do. if you dont have any luck, call your service advisor at the dealership, and ask for the homelink 1800 #. GL
Old 02-23-2004, 03:15 PM

E500
Depends on what model of MB you had. The C, E and S classes have no problem at all to program the rolling code remote, but the M class is having problem to program some of rolling code remote.

Call Roadside to program for ya if possible.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:30 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Where is the garage head unit? Is it an obvious button? Would it be on the drive motor box that operates the door? My remotes came programmed with the garage doors and I never trained them.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:54 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Thumbs up

Originally posted by drb
Where is the garage head unit? Is it an obvious button? Would it be on the drive motor box that operates the door? My remotes came programmed with the garage doors and I never trained them.
The instructions I listed applied to my Genie unit with Rolling Code.

The head unit mentioned is the unit in the middle of the garage (drive motor box) that pulls the chain, screw or belt to open or close the garage door. On the unit. when you open the front plastic housing that contains the bulbs, there should be a button (on my unit, it is on the left side facing the front) that allows the head unit to learn about remotes. Since your remotes were previously programmed, your installer had trained the head unit the presence of your remotes.

Press the learn button and it will start blinking. It will blink for around 30 secs. Within the 30 secs, press your homelink button 3 times (assuming you had done Step 2 in my previous instruction) and your garage head unit will be aware of your homelink button.

Give it a try and let me know whether it works
Old 02-24-2004, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Most complex part in my settings was pressing learn button on an opener and a button in a car at the same time. Since, my wife refused to help me, I parked car under an opener and opened sunroof and completed the programming perfectly.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:33 AM

E500
Originally posted by drb
WTF?

sorry, but there is no way MB will know your garage code before they sold the car to ya..

You do have to program the homelink bottom. By copying the code to homelink, you ned to copy the code same way as you program for your universal remote controller. The rolling code is a little different, which the code were generate by itself. You need to hit the "learn" bottom at your garage unit to program the homelink system. The step are in your user manaul.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:56 PM

Re: Re: Homelink problem..Need help!

Originally posted by GearHead
It's funny that a critical step is missing from the W211 instruction manual as well as homelink user guide.

Give this a try

1) First, erase the memory within your homelink buttons by pressing buttons 1 and 3 at the same time. This done while your key's in the ignition at position 2. Hold buttons for around 20 secs until it blinks quickly
2) With a good working remote, point it close to your homelink controls within the car, hold the button on homelink you wish to program and at the same time, press on the button on your good working remote. Hold on to the button until it blicks quickly. This trains your homelink the rolling code needed
3) Now your homelink is trained, press the training button on your garage head unit. While the LED is blinking on the garage head unit, press the homelink button you trained earlier 3 times. Your garage head unit will now learn about your homelink unit in your car.

Give it a try. I have been buffled with user guides from different auto makers .... all of them missed step 2. With the above mentioned technique, I have trained my Honda, BMWs and Mercedes.

Good luck
Gearhead.. Thanks man!!!! I was on the verge of giving up on my Homelink system after hours of trying. WTF is wrong with MB documentation department that they could publish the simple instructions you posted?
Old 02-24-2004, 01:53 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Marv800

You are very welcome.

I think the technical writers in MB and BMW are the same folks...just my guess here

This is because I ran into the same issue reviewing my X5 and E500 manuals. The instructions on Homelink for both makes are almost identically useless. I struggled on this for 2 weeks on two cars and after making so many calls including 3 to JohnsonControls(maker of Homelink), I was finally able to fine item(2) from the rep. In fact, only 1 out of 3 Homelink reps knew about training the Homelink button with the rolling code.

I'm glad this works for you. GL
Old 02-24-2004, 02:14 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally posted by Dema
Most complex part in my settings was pressing learn button on an opener and a button in a car at the same time. Since, my wife refused to help me, I parked car under an opener and opened sunroof and completed the programming perfectly.
Dema

You actually don't have to press the learn button and the homelink button at the same time. After pressing the learn button on your garage head unit, you have approximately 30 secs to press your homelink button 3 times for the garage head unit to be aware of your homelink remote.

Hopefully, this bit of info will be helpful if you need to configure another Homelink button.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:55 PM

'16 528i MSport
2004 E320 is what I have. Any case, I usually park the car outside of the garage doors and then program it. I never tried it under the garage door head unit with the sunroof open tho.

Will that make the difference in programming my homelink??!!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:15 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally posted by DaCeptak0n
2004 E320 is what I have. Any case, I usually park the car outside of the garage doors and then program it. I never tried it under the garage door head unit with the sunroof open tho.

Will that make the difference in programming my homelink??!!
DaCeptak0n

You don't have to be inside the garage but it should not be too far off from the head unit. I think the MB homelink system doesn't have a long range.

Also, where ever you park your car, other than the range issue, you need to be able to run from the head unit (after pressing the learn button) and back into your car and press the homelink button. This whole excercise should be done under 30 secs because when the head unit is in the learn mode, it only gives you 30 secs to capture the sequence from the homelink transmitter.

Hope this helps

p.s. Remember your ignition should be in position 2 when you configure your homelink system
Old 02-25-2004, 08:44 AM

2004 S55
It amazes me that this issue is asked so often by people with all kinds of vehicles (I've heard some friends with GM vehicles complain that they could never get it to work either). These days, rolling codes on garage door openers are pretty standard so the absence of that contingent in the programming guide is a big oversight. I can't tell you how many people I have seen with a homelink system in their cars but who also have their normal opener remote on the visor because they couldn't program homelink correctly.

Have you seen the commercial for a car where the people pull up and turn on the lights and even the TV via the homelink controls? I bet some of the people who bought that car thought they got duped! On the other hand, I bet the number of people who actually try to use a Homelink to control anything but the garage door is pretty low. I may try my Christmas lights this coming year as I have an RF remote that controls an outlet I use for the lights.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00008X5D5
Old 02-25-2004, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
i dont know why anyone tried the method that i told them. i posted the link, with detailed instructions, you do everything it says in the manual, but when you press the homelink button, and your garage button at the same time you have TO HOLD THE GARAGE BUTTON BEHIND THE MIRROR, SO ITS BETWEEN THE WINDOW AND THE BACK OF THE MIRROR....HOPE THIS HELPS... sorry, i just had to type in caps

i spent over 2 hours dealing with the same issue, but i tried this oce, and it worked perfectly...the homelink guy told me to do this, so it isnt something i made up or anything. GL all
Old 02-25-2004, 12:34 PM

'16 528i MSport
I put the handheld remote in front of the mirror near the map lights and maybe that is why it is not workin at all! I'll try ti your way man and let you know whats good.

Anyways, thanx for helpin a young one out guys..
Old 02-26-2004, 09:54 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
Just picked up my 2004 SL500 and set up my Homelink in under 5 minutes.

The directions in the minibook are not sufficient if you need to set for rolling codes - but it does tell you that. The directions in the full car manual work perfectly.

Be patient and take your time...although it says you have to hit the button to set the rolling code within 30 seconds don't panic.
a) 30 seconds is a lot longer than you realize
b) I did mine more than 30 seconds after hitting the training button on my garage door opener and it still picked it up with no problems.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:57 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally posted by Gunther
Just picked up my 2004 SL500 and set up my Homelink in under 5 minutes.

The directions in the minibook are not sufficient if you need to set for rolling codes - but it does tell you that. The directions in the full car manual work perfectly.

Be patient and take your time...although it says you have to hit the button to set the rolling code within 30 seconds don't panic.
a) 30 seconds is a lot longer than you realize
b) I did mine more than 30 seconds after hitting the training button on my garage door opener and it still picked it up with no problems.
Gunther

Unless your SL was previously trained with the rolling code sequence, there will be challenges. I struggled on this for 2 weeks and what I noticed was that I had to point my existing working remote to the homelink unit and at the same time, press the working remote button and the homelink button. This allows the homelink unit to learn the rolling code sequence generated by my working remote.

Once this is done, then the rest of the instructions on the Full manual applies (i.e. pressing the learn button on the garage door opener head unit and so on)

The key step is first training the homelink button to mimic the working remotes. Someone else within this forum had indicated to follow the instructions within the manual for configurating non rolling code and then follow the instructions for configurating the rolling code. This will do too.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:03 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
Gearhead -

Had no problems at all. Homelink has worked each and every time without fail...and the car wasn't previously trained. I trained it myself and the car has less than 20 miles on it at the time.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:32 AM

2003 E500
GearHead -

Thanks so much for your instructions! Got it working in under 5 minutes.

Old 03-01-2004, 10:41 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally posted by rdtjr
GearHead -

Thanks so much for your instructions! Got it working in under 5 minutes.

Hi rdtjr

You are very welcome. Glad to be of assistance
Old 06-01-2004, 12:21 PM

Re: Re: Homelink problem..Need help!

Originally posted by GearHead

...snip...

Give it a try. I have been buffled with user guides from different auto makers .... all of them missed step 2.
Just wanted to say that this worked for me!

I tried everything else between my Mercedes manual, the garage door opener manual, and calling the garage door's customer service (who refused to give me any technical support over the telephone but offered to charge me $89.95 per hour to come to my house and see if they could figure it out).

I was able to program everything myself in a matter of minutes, despite being gimpy with a recently broken leg.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:47 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: Homelink problem..Need help!

Originally posted by RC51Girl
Just wanted to say that this worked for me!

I tried everything else between my Mercedes manual, the garage door opener manual, and calling the garage door's customer service (who refused to give me any technical support over the telephone but offered to charge me $89.95 per hour to come to my house and see if they could figure it out).

I was able to program everything myself in a matter of minutes, despite being gimpy with a recently broken leg.
Glad to be of service and saved you some $$$.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:56 PM

'16 528i MSport
As an update, my homelink has failed to be programmed and have given up on it entirely. My dealer/salesman came ovr and tred it and called the 800 number and did everything yet to no avail. We just keep using our remote, though it may be a nuisance to use it especially when homelink is available but we're used to it by now.

Thanks for all your help guys/gals as it has worked better for others rather than for myself
Old 06-01-2004, 06:20 PM

2003 E500
These instructions also helped a friend of mine with a Chrysler and who knows what brand of door opener. I just pressed a button on the head unit and it worked after he held the homelink button in his car for a few seconds. He had already done the remote/homelink programming portion.

You can program your remote into the homelink until the cows come home but until the head unit in the garage learns there is another remote unit (the homelink) it is never going to work. At least that's my take on it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Homelink problem..Need help!