E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Please Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes E500
Please Help

Iwas driving my 2005 E500. All the lights on the dash flashed on and car slowedto a complete stop (never turned off.) I turned the car completely off and then I started itagain. The "Check Engine" light came on and remains on. Car will switch gears like normal with the brake depressed but it will not move whenit is in drive or reverse. The car will just roll as if it is in neutral. I hadthe car towed to my house. I have read similar posts but couldn't findanything more recent than 2011 or anything that had an actual resolution.Trying to determine what the issue may be as I can not drive it anywhere tohave them read the check engine codes.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:40 AM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,056 Likes on 977 Posts
1999 E300TD
Why did you have the car towed to your house knowing you don't have a scan tool----You will be enlightened when you spend the bucks to have the car scanned and learn the faults.

FYI: make sure that the bloke you choose that his scanner can read all the control modules on the car and not just the OBD!!--cause you will be back
Old 05-17-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes E500
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Why did you have the car towed to your house knowing you don't have a scan tool----You will be enlightened when you spend the bucks to have the car scanned and learn the faults.

FYI: make sure that the bloke you choose that his scanner can read all the control modules on the car and not just the OBD!!--cause you will be back

New car for me and I haven't had any work done since I got it. Had no idea where to take it and this happened after hours so I couldn't call around and I was only about 2 miles from my house.

Thanks for the note. I ordered OBD II Scan for future use. Having car towed to a seemingly reputable MB mechanic today.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Sounds like you are planning to be satisfied with "seemingly running" car?
Those digital cars are not good item for mechanics to learn new technology.
Have them read the codes, make sure they have SD and don't let them touch anything else unless you confirm they are qualified to do so.