sirius radio problems rumored

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 01:09 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e500 4matic
sirius radio problems rumored

i just read on autospies.com that mercedes pre wired for sat radio that are optioned with nav systems have a major compatibility problem and at a minimum we will have to wait until sept 04 for availability...........uh oh, sounds like last years nav problems again. cars built in 04 are pre wired , but........here we go again......

bruce lazar
Old 03-20-2004, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
I'd just do the kenwood RF mod for sirius

I just had the RF mod by kenwood installed on my car.

pretty nice install. And the best part is, I'm gonna put a Keg in my car too. (actually, i have one of the original red phat boxes, i'm going to put that in). You need a controller for that anyways, and the kenwood one is the only RF mod controller made for the Keg's.

I had the head unit mounted in the ashtray. Most installers will tell you it won't fit, but tell them to sand like a .5mm on each side of the ash tray out, and you can mount it right in the front. The door closes and everything. pretty sweet. (plus it has a remote that fits in the sunglass drawer).

The actually tuner is tucked behind the panels of the trunk on the left side. You dont' even know it's there, and the antenna sits on the rear deck. I get reception fine unless in a covered garage or long tunnel.

People say that sound quality is horrible with FM mod, but its actually not bad. And with the stock system, you can barely tell. One point of interest is that the Sirius factory installs on BMW's are done via FM modulator. Makes you wonder if the Mercedes installs will be any different. Nice to have integrated, but I am an impatient person. Besides, to get my 20 gig harddrive MP3 player in my car, i needed the FM modulator anyway.

Still thinking about a way to tap the optical input for the CD changer for a cleaner signal. Any input or info on the changer optical cables, (TOSlink?) would be appreciated.