E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Quick Q: E500 fuel??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally posted by Thai
Uhh, did not know that this was a stand-up comedian night forum??!! What did you think i was looking for in the first place when i asked the question??? Humor?? Grow up.

Mind boggling!
Hi Thai
Sounds musical
Please don't misunderstand me, but humour is a wonderful gift. Which unfortunately sometimes does not come across on a forum. Please try and give folks the benefit of the doubt. I found your question to be extremely constructive.

Hopefully NO ONE meant anything malicious and I am one of the worst offenders in trying to put a smile onto peoples faces.

Good luck with your off-roading and keep your shiny side up.

Kind regards,
John
Torquay
England
Old 03-22-2004, 06:30 PM
CRB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you drive 10,000 miles a year and get 10 miles per gallon you will use 1000 gallons of fuel. Yes?

If regular (87 oct) is $2.00 per gallon and premium (91 oct) is $2.24 per gallon, the difference is $0.24 or twenty-four cents.

Now multiply that times your thousand gallons of fuel and you have two hundred and twenty four dollars.

Even if you put 40,000 miles on per year, basicly live in the thing, you would have less than one grand to maintain your warranty.

If something goes wrong with the engine and Mercedes-Benz can prove that you were using the incorrect fuel, by analysis of the gas in the tank or your on board computer, then you take a risk (failed non-warranted engine replacement) that is not proportional to the reward ( five bucks of savings at every fill up).

A G500 is a very expensive box thingy and should be given the recommended service and fuel.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:09 PM

05 C320 sport coupe
Originally posted by CRB
If you drive 10,000 miles a year and get 10 miles per gallon you will use 1000 gallons of fuel. Yes?

If regular (87 oct) is $2.00 per gallon and premium (91 oct) is $2.24 per gallon, the difference is $0.24 or twenty-four cents.

Now multiply that times your thousand gallons of fuel and you have two hundred and twenty four dollars.

Even if you put 40,000 miles on per year, basicly live in the thing, you would have less than one grand to maintain your warranty.

If something goes wrong with the engine and Mercedes-Benz can prove that you were using the incorrect fuel, by analysis of the gas in the tank or your on board computer, then you take a risk (failed non-warranted engine replacement) that is not proportional to the reward ( five bucks of savings at every fill up).

A G500 is a very expensive box thingy and should be given the recommended service and fuel.
YEAH, what he said
Old 03-22-2004, 07:28 PM

2004 Mercedes G500 Black
Originally posted by CRB
Oh, i completely agree with you. I was just wondering if MB REQUIRES or RECOMMENDS premium fuel for the 5.0L V8. I got this crazy idea because that is how Toyota/Lexus does it with their 4.7L V8 engine...Toyota/Lexus recommends premium, but no harm in using regular fuel.

I guess premium gas is the only way to go with the G-wagon, especially given the strict warning by MB.

Thanks all for your input.

BTW, you guys should read everything in the LINK on my previous post to my forum on PREMIUM VS. REGULAR fuel...it's interesting reading! It's an eye opener for me.

Last edited by Thai; 03-22-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
As to the original question....I believe you can have the engine set up to run on regular. No big deal, it's a software change. Some places in the world don't have high octane fuel so MB makes the option available.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by mleskovar
As to the original question....I believe you can have the engine set up to run on regular. No big deal, it's a software change. Some places in the world don't have high octane fuel so MB makes the option available.
exactly what i was saying before. if countries that sold MB did not have premium, then what would they do, right?