E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E240 M112 engine noise when cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E240
Thanks for the suggestion. Will probably use some jack stands, as i do not own a lift.
I am planning to change the sway bar balljoint, and will probably try accelerating with the hand brake on and wheels in air, to see if i can identify the source of the noise.

Driving around town in this cold weather (-10, -15C) engine stays noisy.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:06 PM

W211 E240
I've retested the engine mounts. Tried taking off in 3rd gear and handbrake fully ON.
Bonnet was up so i could clearly see the engine. There was little play in the engine, estimated 1, max 2cm (0.5"-1").
I believe it is normal.

No side of leaks as far as i could see on the passager side.
Will try a more accurate measurement these days.

Anyhow, there is no noise heard outside the car. I asked a friend to repeat the same experiment. He was revving the engine quite hard while trying to pull off.
Engine was very quiet, so yes, i am suspecting engine mounts.
Engine was so quiet in fact as at first i did not believe him that he was revving to 4k rpm. But while sticking my head through the window it was clear that the noise was coming from inside the car and outside the car was dead quiet.

Hope the cold weather will end soon, i am also planning on measuring the oil pressure, just for fun.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:59 PM

W211 E240
Changed the gearbox mount along with the front flexdisc yesterday.

Major difference. The knocking sound is TOTALLY gone!
Although the old mount does not look bad, only about 0.5cm recess, it does count!
Best 15Euros i've spent...
Done the job myself, it is quite easy.

Also had some play in the drive shaft, not in the U-joint, but in the drive shaft splines.
They were rattling when the engine was stopping and when shifting from 1-2 or 2-1.
All are gone now.
Most mechanics told me it was the flywheel (kind of expensive as it is a DMF). Lucky the noise is gone now!

I agree it is kind of odd, and i would have never thought that a bad gearbox mount can produce such noise, but...live and learn!

Thanks for pointing me the solution!