E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2005 E320 CDI brakes question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320CDI, ML350
2005 E320 CDI brakes question

I had my brake pads and rotors replaced by my indy, but the brakes have squeaked from the beginning (took it back several times) and was told that they would wear down eventually -- still squeak. Now after holding the brake and letting up, it seems to not disengage fully right away and only does once the car starts moving. I know that the brakes in this year and model are a bit on the odd side and I don't understand the mechanics. Should I take it to the dealer or does anyone have any insight about what's wrong? I did insist on them using genuine MB part and they assured me yes. Don't know for sure and not sure how to tell. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. My FAVORITE Benz ever owned. I think about getting newer, but this is such a good year and model!
Old 11-10-2016, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
You have SBC brakes who are activating themselves without warning, what makes some DIY and even mechanics run for cover since they can't do the homework how to deal with new animal.
Squeaky brakes is cosmetic issue. You can have mechanics redo the job with cleaning and lubricating the elements in right places.
Now brakes holding on flat is different story. I would check the car for codes to start.
Than there is possibility that you are experiencing hill holding having transmission in C mode?
Old 11-13-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Brake pads want to squeal against discs. Stopping this requires special anti squeal plates and lubricants. Maybe your anti-squeal components didn't get installed correctly.

Regarding brakes holding until you move, this may be an SBC function. Now that you mention it, mine may do that. If I'm stopped at a traffic light downhill and let off the brakes, I notice that it doesn't move. But when I touch the gas, off I go.

SBC gives my car super human stopping abilities. Especially at low speeds. I tried to make a turn at 30 mph once as I nearly passed the turn and zip zop zoop, it just stopped and turned. Amazing.

Peter
Old 11-13-2016, 12:43 PM

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Sounds as if the dealer activated the SBC hold function, not sure how to turn it off without a multiplexer.