E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

'05 W211 Modules not sleeping and draining battery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Question '05 W211 Modules not sleeping and draining battery?

Hi folks,
I have an '05 E320CDI and have been experiencing a weird intermittent issue. I'm wondering whether anyone else has seen this behavior.

It seems that something on some bus is staying awake and regularly draining my battery. Recently I had a well-meaning, but forgetful friend give me a jumpstart and inadvertently fry my Audio Gateway, amongst other things. I ordered a factory refurb (FYI, my dealer couldn't find one, but I found one from another dealer in 20 minutes on the Internet). I had the new AGW installed at the dealership and things were in good shape.

Now, I'm coming out to find my car with the battery flat, and not because the lights were left on. When I start it, the COMAND audio is silent. The one thing I have found that seems to bring all of the audio back is to hit the "i" button on the Tele-Aid and then immediately hit the phone hangup button on the steering wheel. I don't presently have Tele-Aid service, but I also don't have any messages about it showing on the instrument cluster.

It is certainly possible that the electrical issue fried something that we just didn't detect, but now I'm curious as to whether perhaps the telematics control unit is the culprit. If i hit the buttons, the right things happen and someone answers, so it seems to otherwise be functional.

If anyone has any ideas, or a similar experience with a resolution, I'd appreciate hearing them.
The '05 W211 CDI has COMAND, CD changer, VCS, Bluetooth and the HK speakers.

(Also, if there is one good replacement for the decrepit Bluetooth adapter these days, please tell me. I've looked online, but it's hard to tell what is still actually supported by the manufacturer, e.g. Viseeo, Dension, etc.)

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2016, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
unplug the module and see what happens!