Airmatic Suspension question ?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E Class w211
Airmatic Suspension question ?!

Hello,

I own a mercedes benz e class w211 year 2005. I want know something about the airmatic suspension. I am going to leave my car turned off inside the garage for a long time and I am not sure what happens with the airmatic suspensions while the car is resting for a long time with engine turned off. Is there a problem if I never turn the engine on for ex. 6 months time long ? Will the suspension be weakened or break during this time ?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks in advance,
Gerald.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 928 Likes on 720 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Plan on placing a battery charger ("trickle" charger) to maintain the main battery. Be advised the auxiliary battery will need its own trickle charger. Alternatively, disconnect the batteries or they will be drained before you try to start it after six months. (Be advised removing power will leave numerous "stored" error codes that will show up the next time the car is placed on a Mercedes diagnostic system. All will refer to "power loss". You can just clear them without a problem. You will have to turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock to clear the ESP light on the dash and you will have to reset all windows/sunroof/radio.)

After six months, I would expect the air springs to bleed down and the car's suspension to be completely collapsed; personally, I do not think that is a good thing. Consider placing some kind of blocks under the jack points (maybe an inch lower than the jack points); when the car settles, it will settle onto the blocks (use rubber where the blocks are against the jack points to prevent damage). This will prevent the car from completely collapsing the suspension. When you finally restart the car, it will raise back to the normal height.

I base the paragraph above from what I learned when replacing air springs. The car is never allowed to sit on a collapsed suspension when the air springs are inflated for the first time; there is a specific procedure (i.e. inflate to 0.5 bar, then raise axle to -1.2 degrees, continue to inflate to 2 bar and check air springs' bladders, then lower car and allow airmatic to inflate air springs to proper ride height which usually requires 5 to 6 bar of pressure).

If you would like, you could leave your car at my house and I'll be glad to take it for a drive each week until you return...

PM me your email address and I will send you some info on your system.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 01-07-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E Class w211
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Plan on placing a battery charger ("trickle" charger) to maintain the main battery. Be advised the auxiliary battery will need its own trickle charger. Alternatively, disconnect the batteries or they will be drained before you try to start it after six months. (Be advised removing power will leave numerous "stored" error codes that will show up the next time the car is placed on a Mercedes diagnostic system. All will refer to "power loss". You can just clear them without a problem. You will have to turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock to clear the ESP light on the dash and you will have to reset all windows/sunroof/radio.)

After six months, I would expect the air springs to bleed down and the car's suspension to be completely collapsed; personally, I do not think that is a good thing. Consider placing some kind of blocks under the jack points (maybe an inch lower than the jack points); when the car settles, it will settle onto the blocks (use rubber where the blocks are against the jack points to prevent damage). This will prevent the car from completely collapsing the suspension. When you finally restart the car, it will raise back to the normal height.

I base the paragraph above from what I learned when replacing air springs. The car is never allowed to sit on a collapsed suspension when the air springs are inflated for the first time; there is a specific procedure (i.e. inflate to 0.5 bar, then raise axle to -1.2 degrees, continue to inflate to 2 bar and check air springs' bladders, then lower car and allow airmatic to inflate air springs to proper ride height which usually requires 5 to 6 bar of pressure).

If you would like, you could leave your car at my house and I'll be glad to take it for a drive each week until you return...

PM me your email address and I will send you some info on your system.
Thanks for the info bbridwell.
The reason why I'm leaving the car in garage for that long is because the engine has a problem and I need to go in Germany during that time.
Actually my car is in Albania so I you intend to come to Albania it would be great.
Thanks for the help.