E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Vibration when the car come to Stop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 S550 Mercedes Benz
Smile Vibration when the car come to Stop

When I am slowing down to a red light and once I come to a full stop I get this vibration from the engine or transmission. I have recently replace L/R Engine mounts, New Transmission mount, New L/R Axles and New Rotors and Brake Pads. It only happens once I have come to a full stop, and almost feels like a rough idle, but when I throw the car in neutral it goes away. Its like a strain on the engine when the car is in drive but not moving.

The issue started after I replace the following parts L/R Engine mounts, New Transmission mount, New L/R Axles with CV boots and front Rotors and Brake Pads.

The same thing will happen if I'm in reverse and I put the car in drive.

Also, if I am in park on pavement, and I turn the steering wheel I get a engine vibration, shake or what feels like strain on the engine.

I'm thinking about changing the drive shaft line mount? Not sure if this would help.

Any thoughts I'm open to new solutions.. Please Offer
Old 01-21-2017, 11:48 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
w211 03'
If the issue started after you replaced all of that.. don't you think that those parts caused the issue? maybe bad installation?
Old 01-22-2017, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Might look into the torque converter. Check the condition of the tranny fluid, maybe have it tested.

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 01-22-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 C300 4MATIC
Subscribed. I have the same issue. Hope someone can resolve this.

I have the same issue.

I just bought a 2011 C300 4Matic and it runs great except for this slight vibration I feel in D or R. It goes away in N, P or "at moving speed." While waiting at a traffic light in D, The vibration disappears once you stat moving or shift out of gear into N or P.

The other day, I had new engine and transmission mounts installed. While the vibration is much less than before, I can still tell it is there. The mounts just help mask the vibration. They are not the cause per se. My old mounts were not really bad.

Since I purchased the car, I've been combing through the threads for similar issues. It seems that those with these symptoms have all gone ahead and replaced the three mounts. While it has solved the problem for some (likely b/c they indeed needed new mounts), many 4Matic owners (not just he W204) have not had this resolved, including myself.

there are some threads that allude to the drive axle and drive shaft particular to the 4Matic. Some have had this expensive repair cure them of the problem. Another seem to have needed a new transfer case.

Anyway, I'm subscribed to this thread now and hope others will report back with their results. While there are many threads out there about this issue, many posters do not bother to follow up with what fixed the problem.

One more thing.

What I do notice, is that depending on the incline of the road that I am on (while stopped in D at a light), the vibration *seems" to diminish to noting, while other lights it is constant. I'm not sure if the wheel position may have something to do wit this.

There is also one other issue now that I think about it. When I first got the car, it had the vibrations, but it also had this steering noise and vibration as well. IF I turned the wheel as it nears the travel stops, there was a shudder-like vibration too. Now that I have new mounts, the vibration is less as mentioned, along with much less shudder in the steering wheel when turned towards stops. Like the general vibration, the steering vibration is still there but much less. The mounts are holding/masking some issue together. These two symptoms are likely related.