E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Hit a d@mn bird with driver's side mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 06:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Current: 2007 E350 P1 and P2
Hit a d@mn bird with driver's side mirror

Okay, so this may be a stupid question but maybe somebody can help me.

I was driving at about 80mph and some d@mn bird with a death wish decided to take off from the side of the highway and cross my path. WHACK. Next thing I know I've got a banging against my door, which is the smashed side mirror glass that's hanging by its wires.

The good news is that the exterior of the mirror is just fine. I saw that an auto-dimming replacement would be over $700, which I'm not going to pay, so I ordered heated replacement glass on EBay for thirty bucks.

Here's my weird question: is this mirror supposed to be held on by a retaining clip? I've tried to push the mirror glass back in place and it won't snap in. The passenger's side mirror seems to have a metal retainer.

My model is the face-lifted W211, model year 2007, E350 sport sedan. According to my data card it's a code 807 "year of modification", so it has the rhombus shape as opposed to the more rectangular earlier design.

So...is there a retaining clip, and if so does anyone know where I can find one? I've got the thing holding in place with some velcro tape temporarily.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
See attachment for install & assembly details.
Attached Thumbnails Hit a d@mn bird with driver's side mirror-capture.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
mirror glass.pdf (126.4 KB, 74 views)