E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Painting Break Calipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550
Cool Painting Break Calipers

All, I'm thinking about doing a DIY on my brake calipers (08 E550), but I really don't want to take the calipers off because frankly it's a bit of work and in theory, I don't think it's necessary.

My theory is that I can take off the wheel, tape down some paper and essentially create a surgical area... In the immediate area I'll do some precision taping area to block off the actual pads themselves and put myself into a position to where only the caliper itself is exposed. From there I can clean and prep the caliper, and then apply the paint itself.

These are massive breaks and it's a shame they have this flat gray paint on them. Thinking of going with a high polish silver with a bit of sparkle in it, and then following up to replace the Mercedes decal.

Anyone else taken this approach or see any red flags with doing so?

What the E550 brake calipers look like stock:

The look I'm going for in terms of color/style:

Last edited by SethP; 02-24-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:26 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
There are tons of threads on this with the dudes with AMG brakes. A lot of painted them burnt copper by VHT and posted how to's and pictures. Search for them on here and they will pop up.

Prep is key for something like this. Personally I'd take off the calipers so you can properly clean then and scuff them up. It's super easy, two 12mm bolts. Then plug the brake line. I would imagine you spending just as much time if not more masking stuff off rather than just simply taking the caliper off and removing the pads/shims. Then you can bleed the brakes when it's all said and done and get fresh fluid in there. This is not something you want to lack in prep work because it will make the end result look like *** and or not last. There have been many people that have painted that calipers on the car and it looks good for a couple years then looks like ***.

Personally I'd leave them unless the 4 piston sport brakes looks horrible. You are going from a silver color to another silver color which most people won't even notice other than you. If you were going to the AMG bbk setup then I'd say by all means paint them since they are significantly larger than the 4 piston setup at around 14" tall and will be noticed.

Let us know how it turns up, but remember it's PREP, PREP, PREP...lol

-Nigel