E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Brake Pad confusion, issues :confused:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
w211 03'
Question Brake Pad confusion, issues :confused:

Bought a brembo brake pad kit, idk what are this parts for, I will post a pic as a reference.

1. This goes behind the pad right? If yes, why the rears don't have it?

2. This is to replace my existing bolts. why? I assume that my existing bolt already has stress on it and thus can fail in the future.

3. What is this tube for? I've heard that I must put a grease or liquid between the rear of the pad where the piston makes contact, or is it between the pad and the cover (number 1 in the pic)

4. And what are this for???? behind the pad, between the pad and the piston? where? And why does the rear doesn't have it?

Old 03-01-2017, 04:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
What about Bimbo---surely they must have at least one person in their organization or dealer organization to advise on technical questions!!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:02 PM

w211 03'
Originally Posted by Plutoe
What about Bimbo---surely they must have at least one person in their organization or dealer organization to advise on technical questions!!

Not quite the answer I was looking for, from your perspective then everyone should do a visit to the dealer instead of searching in this forum for solutions..
Brembo did not reply, I look on brembos site and no info on any info of this parts..

Thanks anyways Plutoe.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
That's a very narrow view. Also your definition of a technical question is also questionable as it relates to asking for the correct answer.

You need to pose the question at Ben's Wurld, they will dazzle you with technical answers!!
Old 03-02-2017, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550
The grease is a pretty standard part (they sell the stuff everywhere, including advance auto, autozone, etc.) and you pretty much put it everywhere except the contact area between the pad and the rotor. There are plenty of articles on applying this on other cars, and the mercedes brake system is nothing unique aside from the sensors, which have nothing to do with this.

Last edited by SethP; 03-02-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:31 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
If you take the pads off the rear calipers you will see why there is no brake pad guide/slide, like there are the fronts.

The grease is standard stuff, you put it on the back of the pad backing plate and on the parts that touch the metal slide/guide. Your item marked 1. This prevents squeaks.

#3 looks like the bolt for the brake wear senor that is attached to the caliper. Why you'd need new bolts? Who knows. They are only torqued down to something like 10nm or even less. A drop or two of blue Loctite on that bolt and just make it snug will be more than enough. It's easy to strip that bolt from applying to much torque.

Your questions are all pretty basic, and should be answered if you take one caliper off the car and look at the parts. IE: Do the front passenger side and then you will see how everything goes together. Then do the same for the driver side. Doing both at the same time will end up causing problems if you don't know how to put it back together.

The brakes on these cars are extremely easy to work on. Rear is almost too easy honestly.

If thinking about taking one apart and you are in over your head, I highly suggest taking it somewhere or seeing if someone here is local to you. Brakes are not a job where you should be questioning common parts and wondering where they go/what they do.

-Nigel
Old 03-03-2017, 08:41 PM

w211 03'
Thanks Nigel, I guess I'm new to brakes. Anyhow my front brake pads/caliper etc are different from the USA version, just found out after taking one side off.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 388 Likes on 324 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by cMazara
Thanks Nigel, I guess I'm new to brakes. Anyhow my front brake pads/caliper etc are different from the USA version, just found out after taking one side off.
Brakes are easy, but critical.

Find a friend who has done a set the first time, and you will be an expert going forward.