Nav and Daylight Savings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 BMW 550i
Nav and Daylight Savings

Was the time supposed to automatically change with Daylight Savings? I thought that if you have the Nav it automatically updates the time. I was driving around for a while until I noticed that it didn't change.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Yea.... Mine didn't change either....
Although I wasn't expecting too. Guess I gotta go get the manual.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Mine updated automatically about 20 seconds after pulling out of my garage this morning.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Yea.... Mine didn't change either....
Although I wasn't expecting too. Guess I gotta go get the manual.
I asked this self same question a while back. The folks that stated there clocks automatically updated did not have the DVD COMAND.

I searched the manual, but could not find any setting that allowed automatic time updating.

Finding out how to change the time was a challenge, which my son managed to solve before I did.

Regards,
John
Old 04-04-2004, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Late 2003 E320 with HK, no nav. The clock did not reset itself. A job to get the analog dash clock set. After you enter the time and tell it to update, the hands go backward for a while and then forward until the time is set. By the time all this is done, it is the next minute and you have to do it over.

It also has a digital clock in the HK display in the center console that is pretty useless. Other than setting it, I do not think I have ever displayed it. You can only adjust in half hour increments in relation to GMT. My guess is that it gets GPS time, converts to GMT and then you have to manually put the offset in for you time zone.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:22 PM

W211 & Q7
automatically adjusting clock is a service from "Tele Aid" (sos), the clock also shows you the correct time when you enter a different time zone. (as long as you subscribe tele aid, the clock works, your car does not have to have nav.)

of course, this old issue is brought here twice a year. basically, mb electronic is the weakest link, this automatical summer saving time adjustment can be easily done by program. (most of vcrs can do it)
Old 04-04-2004, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
no brainer, hit the SVC button, hit time, then knock it up a notch. Hit back, then you're done.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:57 PM

2003 E320
If it is an "automatic" ajustment from Tele Aid, why does mine (and it seems a lot of others) not automatically adjust? I have gone through two time changes and it has never automatically adjusted. I am subscribed to Tele Aid by the way.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:01 PM

2004 e320 wagon
Originally posted by glojo
Finding out how to change the time was a challenge, which my son managed to solve before I did.

Regards,
John [/B]
i hope your son got something from his dad. i figured this out myself, so for those with nav & without aid from offspring,

press the SERV button to the side of the screen
press Time soft button
press < or > (on COMAND, not steering wheel) to select hour
press ^ or v to change the hour
press OK

analog clock should then quickly reset to correct time (assuming it's set to "sync with head unit")
Old 04-04-2004, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Got out the manual and got it done easy enough.... About this automatic adjustments via teleaid, no such luck for me and I'm currently a subscriber....
Old 04-04-2004, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I changed it easily enough, as it was a snap with the Serv button. Although, I changed the time on mr friends 2003 E, and it was the biggest hassle.

I also have GPS AND Tele Aid.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by beluga
i hope your son got something from his dad. i figured this out myself, so for those with nav & without aid from offspring,
Your explanation was 'spot on'. Silly me, tried to look up 'clock' or 'Adjust' or 'Time'

I suppose I must be old fashioned because I never dreamt of looking under the heading 'System'. I mean, everyone knows that to adjust the clock you find instructions under the heading 'System'

Ooops forgot to add, as a reward for finding out the information I kindly allowed my son to wash the car.

Has the US manual the same problem, or is it easier to find?

Oh well back to the manuals.

John
Old 04-05-2004, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Dang.... I must be stupid, I looked up "clock" in my manual and it was there with complete setting instructions.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dang.... I must be stupid, I looked up "clock" in my manual and it was there with complete setting instructions.
If you have a manual that has the heading Clock in the Index then I must be going blind because I cannot find it.

'Beluga' (from the USA) has quoted the COMAND manual instructions exactly word for word but it can only be found under 'System Settings'

To add to the confusion, further on from ""Beluga's"" instructions, it goes on to state, Quote (from page 192) """"""There is no automatic switching from summer time to winter time. This has to be changed manually."""" end quote.

The page number for the reference I believe will be slightly different, but all those members that have a 211 with DVD COMAND and claim there clock automatically switches from Winter time to Summer time are extremely lucky (or I am extremely unlucky )

Regards,
John
Old 04-05-2004, 12:02 PM

2004 e320 wagon

Has the US manual the same problem, or is it easier to find?

Oh well back to the manuals.

John [/B]
if anyone's manual is more impenetrable than the US manual, God save us all!

this morning, i set out to change the symbols displayed on the map. being a non-golfer, i didn't want golf course location, but wanted to show mercedes dealers. anyway, looking up POI in the index gets you to pg. 136, which directs you to pg. 140, which points to pg. 128 (symbols display), which references pg. 127 (display menu), which references pg. 119 (map scale); and of course, many of these pages refer back to page you just left. finally, on page 129, the procedure for activating or deactivating symbols is more or less explained.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if anyone's manual is more impenetrable than the US manual, God save us all!

this morning, i set out to change the symbols displayed on the map. being a non-golfer, i didn't want golf course location, but wanted to show mercedes dealers. anyway, looking up POI in the index gets you to pg. 136, which directs you to pg. 140, which points to pg. 128 (symbols display), which references pg. 127 (display menu), which references pg. 119 (map scale); and of course, many of these pages refer back to page you just left. finally, on page 129, the procedure for activating or deactivating symbols is more or less explained.
I find it takes far less time to just intuitively navigate (no pun) through the menu screens until you find what you need. Most of the settings are pretty straight forward and logical. In the manual, as you point out, insists that you read through several pages to get 3 words of information.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Totally agree with all the points about the manual.

How stupid of me to think that because the clock is part of the Instrument Panel, the instructions on how to alter the time should therefore be in the Car Manual.

Why on earth is the clock controlled by the COMAND system??? Is the BMW manual as straight forward to understand???

Regards,
John
Old 04-05-2004, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How stupid of me to think that because the clock is part of the Instrument Panel, the instructions on how to alter the time should therefore be in the Car Manual.

Why on earth is the clock controlled by the COMAND system??? Is the BMW manual as straight forward to understand???

Regards,
John
Same bananas. Its all a waste of time. Mostly disclosures, CYA. "WARNING! When operating door, do not close head in door jamb!"
Old 04-05-2004, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Brav
Same bananas. Its all a waste of time. Mostly disclosures, CYA. "WARNING! When operating door, do not close head in door jamb!"

Brilliant

John
Old 04-05-2004, 12:49 PM

2004 e320 wagon

Why on earth is the clock controlled by the COMAND system???

John
maybe it motivates owners to renew teleaid subscriptions.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

maybe it motivates owners to renew teleaid subscriptions.
No idea what Teleaid is??
I've heard of First Aid and Lemonade, but not teleaid???
(I guess it is a US function)

John
Old 04-05-2004, 01:36 PM

2004 e320 wagon
No idea what Teleaid is??
I've heard of First Aid and Lemonade, but not teleaid???
(I guess it is a US function)

John
brits don't get sos, i (as in information), and wrench buttons to summon assistance for emergencies, road directions, reserve restaurants, call for petrol or tire repair, that sort of thing? MB calls it Tele Aid. the first year's free; i forget what renewal costs, but i prepaid for 2-3 more years, mainly so it will dial police automatically if an airbag inflates. the i button also gets you a customer rep, who can presumably assist with operation of car controls like the nav system, although i haven't resorted to that yet.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Now my friend who has the 2003 E said that his did automatically change, and I know that he didn't do it himself, since I'm usually the one who has to be called in to help with these types of things.

It is true what is being said about the manual. Considering the breadth of information that they need to give on a wide variety of features, the manual is very sparse about many topics, and does not go in to any type of depth.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

brits don't get sos, i (as in information), and wrench buttons to summon assistance for emergencies, road directions, reserve restaurants, call for petrol or tire repair, that sort of thing? MB calls it Tele Aid. the first year's free; i forget what renewal costs, but i prepaid for 2-3 more years, mainly so it will dial police automatically if an airbag inflates. the i button also gets you a customer rep, who can presumably assist with operation of car controls like the nav system, although i haven't resorted to that yet.
Your quite correct, all we have when we purchase a Mercedes-Benz is Mobilo-Life which is a Mercedes-Benz Lifetime warranty against break-downs, rust etc. (We do however have to dial a Freephone number).

The Concierge thing is only available with the Maybach. (my next car )

John
Old 04-05-2004, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by alewifebp
Now my friend who has the 2003 E said that his did automatically change, and I know that he didn't do it himself, since I'm usually the one who has to be called in to help with these types of things.
I have no reason to disbelieve your friend as the clock 'thing' relates to the DVD COMAND. I think I am correct in thinking that 2003 US E-class vehicles did NOT have this option.

John

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nav and Daylight Savings