E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

key fob not unlocking/locking doors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
key fob not unlocking/locking doors

i got this key 5 months ago and is out of warranty for an exchange. It suddenly stopped working on unlocking n locking the doors and one day didnt work in ignition for 1 full hour and suddenly it started the car

Now ignition works fine but still a no no on the doors. i changed the battery as well and no red light lights up when i press any button on the key.

based on my work, i open my trunk a lot and it's frustrating opening the doors with the blade first n then the trunk lol and im not wiling to spend $300-400 again. I had the guy take a look at it at least said I cant fix it but to sell you a new key with extended warranty...heck no.

it works fine in ignition now, every time. Has this happened to anyone and had this issue resolved? any ideas?

It's the key with chrome outer parts. Thanks. n its 06 e350
Old 03-11-2017, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,173 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Is it the buttons on the case? If you have keyless go, I think it's harder swapping the case, but I don't think it's that bad if you don't have it. There was some old threads on here about that. Plus try some fresh batteries, several stories of people putting in what they thought were new batteries and they were just no good.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:31 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Is it the buttons on the case? If you have keyless go, I think it's harder swapping the case, but I don't think it's that bad if you don't have it. There was some old threads on here about that. Plus try some fresh batteries, several stories of people putting in what they thought were new batteries and they were just no good.

no i dont have the keyless go feature in mine. I had a locksmith guy take a look into it and said cant be fixed. And i think the case cant be swapped as well on the chrome keys. the original fob had removable chip board but once my dad left em in his pants and it ended up being in the washing machine lol it stopped working except the ignition still works.

I ll try another set of batteries. Which brand of batteries would go best if you can suggest some?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,173 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
They actually can be swapped, the keyless go feature is even harder to swap but if you don't have it, it can be done, just not that easily. Some claim Panasonic makes good ones and it's what the dealers use. If you don't get the red light, maybe your buttons are bad. You could also get a can of electrical contact cleaner and try cleaning the whole thing. Take the battery out first and let it dry afterwards.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W164, W163, W220, W211
I fixed my unlocking/locking issue with this video,
Old 03-12-2017, 01:43 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
well i fixed it today!!!

and thanks NSS, my fuse was bad and i changed that too but that wasn't the reason. I dropped the key once or twice and i came to know the chip board was displaced from the battery. When i gently put the remote back together, without putting on the chrome pieces, it worked but when i put the chromes on, it didnt. Then i figured out ntn is wrong, its just the displacement of the pieces.

then i slowly and carefully put the chip n battery together and all other pieces, it worked. No problems today at all after that.

Cetialpha, i used the battery from the original remote, it had 2 batteries idk why? since the new key is back to life, I'm still keeping the OG remote inside the car just in case the new one starts to act up again. Of course i will unlock the doors with the blade and use OG for ignition!

That **** just saved me $200 lol i been happy bout that the whole day LOL