LIMP Loss of RPM "Air mass too high" C2346

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E270 CDI 2003 Classic
LIMP Loss of RPM "Air mass too high" C2346

Hello guys, my vehicle info is W211 2003 E270CDI 237k Kilometers
Accidents free and all services are done at official MB dealer.

Before I decided to register here at forum I have searched many websited regarding my problem which is bothering me for 2 years now, and as you can see I won't be writing if problem is resolved.
Anyway, my problem is that sometimes my merc gets into LIMP mode, I will lose all turbo
and RPM will get blocked at about 2700-2800 you can see at photo attached.
Problem is easly solved by stopping asside turning engine off and on and continue driving. This was occuring once in 1-2 months, after some time it
will occure every week and now every day for 2-3 times. Specially more and more ofter on long trips 2+ hours which is not rare for me to do so.
As you may know official MB workshop is quite expensive (and this is an 14yo car) and they don't know for sure what is causing this error, but
they gave me an error code 2346 named "Air mass is is too high"
So my first step was to buy new EGR valve original Wahler part which I did but it didn't helped at all,
even old one was worn out they gave me wrong hint. So I decided to go at local mechanic.
Long story short, this guy changed some motor that regulates how much returning gases will be he was saying about some 10 air
pipes when sometimes uses all of them and sometimes only 5 of them, I don't know exact name in english
but german name is like w211 motor klappert intake, If needed I can provide you part number.
This guy said that I got hole in fuel pipe and that fuel dripp-ed into this part and burned all electronic inside.
So after replacing this part which cost about 70€ about 95% of problem was solved and I was happy for short time but sadly
this problem from hell still happes sometimes and I noticed that happens almost every time
on long trips (engine has working temp) and I get to full stop like intersections or toll payment, and after that if I takeoff a bit more
faster and aggressive car will go fine but few minutes after that no more than 5 I will get LIMP mode
Many mechanics I visited had no clue what else should be changed, some of them said MAF but before I buy it which is not so cheap,
I want to make sure that it will solve my problem.
Some of them said it's clogged CAT, but my CAT is pulled out 2 years ago lol I know, I get black smoke on sharp start but I don't do that often.
speaking about CAT I noticed that only when in LIMP mode I don't get black smoke out when changing gears etc. while in "normal" mode
I get black smoke very often if going uphill or simmilar.
Also some of advices was to get fuel injectors checked which I did and found out 4/5 were fine,
except only one which was not perfect but also not too bad.

I have uploaded an video example here:
https://*******/photos/9fA4zco44QJV9pWv7

Somewhere on internet I read that one guy solved this same problem by doing this: quote
solution: The problem turned out to be a clogged egr cooler, where the cooler meets the intake manifold, there was only a 10 % hole remaining,
the rest was clogged with soot, i cleaned it with "egr cleaner" and the car is preforming ;-)

I have no clue what egr cooler is and will it help me and how to clean it, what should I say to mechanic.
Attached Thumbnails LIMP Loss of RPM "Air mass too high" C2346-20160806_002708.jpg   LIMP Loss of RPM "Air mass too high" C2346-20161124_162725.jpg  

Last edited by Benjamin Djonko; 03-30-2017 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Video link was not correct
Old 03-31-2017, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211
Originally Posted by Benjamin Djonko
Hello guys, my vehicle info is W211 2003 E270CDI 237k Kilometers
Accidents free and all services are done at official MB dealer.

Before I decided to register here at forum I have searched many websited regarding my problem which is bothering me for 2 years now, and as you can see I won't be writing if problem is resolved.
Anyway, my problem is that sometimes my merc gets into LIMP mode, I will lose all turbo
and RPM will get blocked at about 2700-2800 you can see at photo attached.
Problem is easly solved by stopping asside turning engine off and on and continue driving. This was occuring once in 1-2 months, after some time it
will occure every week and now every day for 2-3 times. Specially more and more ofter on long trips 2+ hours which is not rare for me to do so.
As you may know official MB workshop is quite expensive (and this is an 14yo car) and they don't know for sure what is causing this error, but
they gave me an error code 2346 named "Air mass is is too high"
So my first step was to buy new EGR valve original Wahler part which I did but it didn't helped at all,
even old one was worn out they gave me wrong hint. So I decided to go at local mechanic.
Long story short, this guy changed some motor that regulates how much returning gases will be he was saying about some 10 air
pipes when sometimes uses all of them and sometimes only 5 of them, I don't know exact name in english
but german name is like w211 motor klappert intake, If needed I can provide you part number.
This guy said that I got hole in fuel pipe and that fuel dripp-ed into this part and burned all electronic inside.
So after replacing this part which cost about 70€ about 95% of problem was solved and I was happy for short time but sadly
this problem from hell still happes sometimes and I noticed that happens almost every time
on long trips (engine has working temp) and I get to full stop like intersections or toll payment, and after that if I takeoff a bit more
faster and aggressive car will go fine but few minutes after that no more than 5 I will get LIMP mode
Many mechanics I visited had no clue what else should be changed, some of them said MAF but before I buy it which is not so cheap,
I want to make sure that it will solve my problem.
Some of them said it's clogged CAT, but my CAT is pulled out 2 years ago lol I know, I get black smoke on sharp start but I don't do that often.
speaking about CAT I noticed that only when in LIMP mode I don't get black smoke out when changing gears etc. while in "normal" mode
I get black smoke very often if going uphill or simmilar.
Also some of advices was to get fuel injectors checked which I did and found out 4/5 were fine,
except only one which was not perfect but also not too bad.

I have uploaded an video example here:
https://*******/photos/9fA4zco44QJV9pWv7

Somewhere on internet I read that one guy solved this same problem by doing this: quote
solution: The problem turned out to be a clogged egr cooler, where the cooler meets the intake manifold, there was only a 10 % hole remaining,
the rest was clogged with soot, i cleaned it with "egr cleaner" and the car is preforming ;-)

I have no clue what egr cooler is and will it help me and how to clean it, what should I say to mechanic.
Simptoms just like egr system malfunction, try this: http://ces24.com/home/10-mercedes-egr-emulator.html
Should help, they send it worlwide and help to install.