Another European Delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E320 4Matic
Another European Delivery

Hello All. I have been lurking in this forum for the past half a year and have soaked up much information, insight, and excitement in finalizing a new car purchase. My wife and I are just back from Stuttgart after driving our new W211 320 4matic 1,300 miles on a circuit of Germany and offer the following thoughts back to the group.

The European Delivery program is fantastic. From start to finish the level of coordination was exceptional.

The European Union has made international travel to member countries routine and hassle free. We cleared customs in Amsterdam and were off to Germany in half the time it takes to deal with US entry. The Stuttgart airport is a great small facility that is filled with services but is not saturated with the bustle of a major hub. Mercedes provides a night of lodging (with breakfast) in a fine downtown hotel along with two taxi vouchers to get you from the airport to town and then on to reception center in Sindelfingen.

It is amazing that you can travel nearly anywhere in the world and get by successfully with English, a phrase book, hand gestures, and a smile. No other language is so widely accessible. I can plop down in Germany, France, Italy, Mexico and function with all of the thrill and excitement of being in another culture, in another land, with another language, without the frustration of being lost. English is not always directly available, but it is always close at hand; on the rare times when the language barrier is real it is even more fun. We are very fortunate to be able to function globally with a single language. I imagine the barrier to a German tourist coming to America without any English would be huge.

The reception center moves some 400 cars a day direct from the factory to costumer, with a small fraction from the US.

The cab dropped us off at the front of the complex and our luggage was taken to be loaded into our new car. After a brief stop to check in with reception we were off to one of the best factory tours that I have been on. This is very much a do not miss! After the tour we were back to reception for an explanation of the paperwork and then off to the new car delivery center; a sprawling indoor area with some 20 new cars awaiting owners. Here we were thoroughly introduced to all of the features and settings. And off you go! Before leaving the complex we went to the restaurant for lunch, which is included (up to 65 euros).

Some notes about the car at delivery.
• All W211 4matic vehicles are assembled in Austria at the same facility that produces the G class.
• The new ceramic clear coat is not yet being used at this plant, which was a mild disappointment.
• The new headlights are cool; if you have them it is hard to see how you would not notice in a parking garage or any controlled dark turning environment.
• The old APS 50 system is gone along with the cassette player. The same display unit, AUX input, and command system is installed with or without the DVD navigation (there is no map coverage of Alaska so we saw little point to it for us).
• Without a sun roof there is amazing headroom! Better than I had in my Ford F-150, and nearly as much as I have in my Chevy Silverado. The sunroof truly cuts 2 inches out.

We drove on to Cologne that day. The next day we traveled across the country to Berlin and explored downtown for four days. Then, off to Munich and Bavaria and back to Stuttgart where we dropped the car with the shipper.

Some notes from driving for 1,300 miles on the autobahn.
• The car is fabulous!
• This car is meant to be driven on the highway at 80-100 mph.
• No matter how fast you are driving there is a station wagon that is going faster!
• There is substantial wind noise at 120 mph (grin).
• The range and fuel efficiency are notably reduced at speeds in excess of 80. Our overall trip recorded 22 mpg.
• The Harman Kardon sound system has real depth and clarity that reminds me of my Bose quite comfort headphones!
• We experienced no problems, noises, quirks of any kind in driving conditions that varied from 60 degrees with bright sun to 40 and hard rain to 30 with snow.
• Great seats, very relaxing on the long drives.
• The 320 engine and 5 speed transmission are very smooth and powerful. Shifting is generally not noticeable and there was never a time when the vehicle lacked available power.
• Highway power is fantastic.

I will be happy to elaborate on any specific issue associated with our experiences with the European Delivery; it is a great program and a fun time.

Stephen
Old 04-10-2004, 05:58 AM

'14 SL550
Thanks for the information, one of these days I'm going to use the European Delivery as well for a new car. Enjoy your new E.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:37 PM

2016 E400 4-Matic Coupe, 2002 Chev 2500 HD Crew, 1983 Porsche 911SC,
schristo,

great post! Thanks for coming out of the lurk mode. I have the same car. It's great, especially for my Minnesota winters, and of course your Alaska weather. I hope that my next new benz will be a european delivery. I would have done it this time had it not been for my crazy travel schedule. I too forewent the Nav, and have not missed it. Perhaps even avoided a few gremlins to boot! Enjoy the car!