Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by RAD
Scorchie,

Are you sure about this "misconception"? I have noticed while driving at night that the left low beam is distinctly lower that the right--annoyingly so. So I searched this fine forum and checked my owner's manual (as you and others have recommeded ). Page 124 says "If you drive in countries where vehcles drive on the ohter side of the road than the country where the vehicle is registered, you must have the headlamps modified for symmetrical low beams," implying that the low beams are asymmetrical to begin with. I don't mean to imply that the right headlight is pointing "up," but that the left is most assuredly pointing lower than the right.

This seems like a bit of overengineering on MB's part to me. So as this thread mentions, just a few turns of the screw, right?
"Symmetrical" means that there is no rise on the right side. Each headlight by itself is "asymmetrical" meaning the right side has a rise to it. Not that one headlight is higher than the other.

If you point the headlights at a wall with the car level and at a 90 degree angle to the wall, the two headlights should each project a beam with a sharp cutoff. The lowest part of this cutoff on both headlights should be at the same height from the ground. It may appear that one headlight is pointed lower than the other, but that is due to the intersection of the beams. They both should be at the same height.

If yours is definitely lower on one side, it may be time for an adjustment. Which, as you say, is just a couple turns of the screws.

I reaimed my headlights because after lowering, they were not aimed correctly.

-s-