E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Pulse and Dynamic Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 E320 CDI
Pulse and Dynamic Seats

Hey guys, quick question regarding the pulse feature and the dynamic seats. I've done a bit of reading on here regarding the issue and it sounds like the pump going out is the classic culprit.

It looked pretty simple to get to and after reading about the melted hose connectors, I figured I'd pull it and see what was what. During removal I pulling one of the lines (can't recall color) and it released compressed air which I assume was from the reservior - this was after the car had been off for ~15 minutes so I'm under the impression that I don't have any major leaks anywhere.

I inspected the compressor to find that it is the updated PN with no apparent abnormalities. Following that I bench tested it and it spun up freely and pumped air. Reinstalled and it spun back up and pumped up the reservior and shut off a minute or so later. Again, I assume this is normal operation.

Went back to the seats and fiddled with the dynamic seat functions but could not feel any adjustment in lumbar, knee or side bolsters. When I hit pulse I again couldn't feel anything. Both dynamic and pulse remain illuminated. I tested this on both driver and passenger seats with the same result. Level 2 is selected on the cluster for both dynamic seats.

I've been in another w211 with dynamic seats and don't recall the pulse feature being jaw dropping, but I could at least tell it was moving around. No such luck with mine.

Is there anything I'm missing here before I take it to the stealer to see if there are any codes? I've got the torque app but don't beleive this will read the correct module. If I'm going to drop $100 for a diagnosis at the dealer, is there a different scanner than will read this, Icarsoft I980, etc?

Being in Iowa, my dealership options are limited. BMW/Mercedes of Des Moines split up divisions and since then I've had a very poor perception of the Mercedes side. Lack of follow through and generally unhelpful staff so I'd like to DIY if reasonably possible. They couldn't even track down a high mileage badge for me!

I've lived without these for the 2.5 years that I've had the car but I do drive 150 miles/day and will be taking several 8 hour trips this summer with passengers and it would be nice to back some back releif, however mininal it's design can accomodate.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2017, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Pulse is mechanical thing from what I remember when it is dynamic inflation that takes air compressor
I had my dynamic driver seat dying on me and even I had advanced scanner, it would not read the rare option.
But finding parts on junk yard, it turn out bad switch.
In your case if both seats don't work on all 3 options, that point to module and that is where SD will be hard to beat for troubleshooting.
If you still want to spend time on it, hook up pressure gauge to see if you are getting 30 psi. Just becouse you hear air noise, doesn't have to mean the pressure is correct.

Last edited by kajtek1; 05-29-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
W211 E320 CDI Sportpackage With Carlsson CD32 Chip 2004
pulse seats u won't feel a thing. Only in the S class with low mileage. Dynamic is also neglectable.

lumbar support is good.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
On the other hand, I've been trying to troubleshoot my Dynamic seats going through screen menu commands and just found there is a BUTTON underneath the seat controls that says Dynamic.

So... After a year of faffing around, I pressed the button and now I have dynamic seats again. Yikes!

Peter
The following users liked this post:
kajtek1 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 08:16 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
1967 250SE, 2020 GLB250, 2006 SL500, 2023 EQB300
SDS may not give you much. I have it and it could not troubleshoot a leak. If you have a leak in one of the bags or lines the compressor will time out and disable the system but there will be no error. I had a leak in the bag under the knees that was very hard to find. In the backrest of the front seats there is a valve module that control all the bags. I had to identify which one goes to the leaky bag and plug it to get the system running. I am not sure if a leak will disable both seats but it is possible.