E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

The Elusive Low (and High) Speed Steering Shudder on 07 W211 4matic - Fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes E350 4matic (W211)
The Elusive Low (and High) Speed Steering Shudder on 07 W211 4matic - Fix?

Just bought the family dog off my dad, our 07 W211 E350 4matic with 155k.

Unfortunately, it has two mechanical issues that I've found on it, and I can't really find a legitimate solution for either of them. Both are related to shuddering in the steering wheel, different speeds and different frequencies.

1. On a cold start, at low speeds (when I'm pulling out of the driveway to go to work in the morning) there is a noticeable shuddering in the steering wheel. It goes away by the time the car gets up to temp. By the time I've completed my half hour commute to work and I am driving in the parking lot at the same speeds, the shaking is completely gone.

I've read some people saying that this is caused by the transfer case clutch slipping, some people say it's the differential 'flexing' some people say it's their tires or the power steering pump etc. Does anyone have a definite answer as to what would be causing this?

I should note, this problem started appearing after the front diff was replaced and has been present for 20k+ miles. (the old diff froze and grenaded itself while my mom was driving home from work last year)

2. At highway speeds (60+ mph) there is a slight shudder in the wheel, it almost feels like a counterweight fell off one of the wheels, but they're all still there and the car recently had an alignment. I am going to rotate the tires this weekend and see if it helps.

Sorry this is a long post, I really want to get this problem sorted out as I'm probably gonna have to sell this car soon. If you have any tips, ideas or if you want to call me an idiot, any help is appreciated.