MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W211) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211-20/)
-   -   W211 Suspension Height Issue (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/669627-w211-suspension-height-issue.html)

coronat 06-10-2017 10:23 PM

W211 Suspension Height Issue

Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing a ride height issue with my 08 W211 E350 after replacing the shocks. The rear is okay (non-adjustable), but the front is riding higher than it should. After further investigating the problem, it seems (I hope anyway) that the spring seat needs to be adjusted by means of a ring pin.

Does anyone know at which notch the ring pin should be at? (see pictures)

https://imgur.com/a/441cK

The car also has the avantgarde and sport package options.

Thank you in advance!

EuroDriverSD 06-12-2017 02:07 PM

Wow, My Bilstein HDs only had 3 notches, IIRC. Do you have your old struts to make a comparison? Otherwise I'd advice you make a measurement from the lip of your fender and measure down to where it should ideally be, then measure that distance on the strut from where the ring is originally.

Also, take into account that it might take your struts a few days to settle down, so it may ride a little higher until they are done settling.

coronat 06-13-2017 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by EuroDriverSD (Post 7177606)
Wow, My Bilstein HDs only had 3 notches, IIRC. Do you have your old struts to make a comparison? Otherwise I'd advice you make a measurement from the lip of your fender and measure down to where it should ideally be, then measure that distance on the strut from where the ring is originally.

Also, take into account that it might take your struts a few days to settle down, so it may ride a little higher until they are done settling.

Unfortunately I do not. But it didn't matter because the struts that were already on the car were the incorrect ones, but the springs were so worn that I didn't notice that problem until I decided to replace the springs and shocks.

I originally bought Sachs shocks and verified it to the matching MB genuine part. I also bought an original MB genuine shock later (in an attempt to measure it) but found out that even the genuine shock also needs to be adjusted to whatever the car is sitting at.

I tried to do an estimate and adjust the rings on the other two new shocks I have pictured, but I really do not want to pay for another "guess" at what the height should be (if it can be avoided).

cmriv 06-15-2017 06:13 PM

If you installed new springs I would let them settle first.
Make sure they are in fact the correct springs.....

Maroc_Specops 06-16-2017 08:48 AM

Avantgarde must bu front lower then back. Just drive the thing, and it will sag with time to correct heights.

btv94 06-16-2017 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by coronat (Post 7179021)
Unfortunately I do not. But it didn't matter because the struts that were already on the car were the incorrect ones, but the springs were so worn that I didn't notice that problem until I decided to replace the springs and shocks.

I originally bought Sachs shocks and verified it to the matching MB genuine part. I also bought an original MB genuine shock later (in an attempt to measure it) but found out that even the genuine shock also needs to be adjusted to whatever the car is sitting at.

I tried to do an estimate and adjust the rings on the other two new shocks I have pictured, but I really do not want to pay for another "guess" at what the height should be (if it can be avoided).

My Bilstein HD shock is also adjustable, but i use as they came. After the installation i notice my car is higher then before. I even have to adjust my headlight down. That is just because i'm used to see failed shock and it's very low.
After couple weeks i don't even notice that my car is high at all, but that's Bilstein HD shocks.

btv94 10-09-2018 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by coronat (Post 7176397)
Hello everyone,
I've been experiencing a ride height issue with my 08 W211 E350 after replacing the shocks. The rear is okay (non-adjustable), but the front is riding higher than it should. After further investigating the problem, it seems (I hope anyway) that the spring seat needs to be adjusted by means of a ring pin.
Does anyone know at which notch the ring pin should be at? (see pictures)
https://imgur.com/a/441cK
The car also has the avantgarde and sport package options.
Thank you in advance!

Did you ever resolve the height setting on this shock?

Davesax36 12-19-2019 11:21 AM

I've got the same issue. 5 slots up from the bottom and this thing is practically doing a wheelie just sitting in the driveway.

coronat 12-19-2019 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by btv94 (Post 7573311)
Did you ever resolve the height setting on this shock?

Sorry to reply so late, no the issue was never completely resolved. After trying again, I got the ride height to almost match, but was still off by about 0.5 - 0.75 inches, so I decided to just ignore it. The shop suggested that there may be a bushing somewhere that's worn but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

I may eventually have it fixed once I do a complete suspension refresh in the future.

Justin Credible 05-13-2020 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by coronat (Post 7931453)
Sorry to reply so late, no the issue was never completely resolved. After trying again, I got the ride height to almost match, but was still off by about 0.5 - 0.75 inches, so I decided to just ignore it. The shop suggested that there may be a bushing somewhere that's worn but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

I may eventually have it fixed once I do a complete suspension refresh in the future.

Hey good evening I am having the same issue you were having I installed new springs and struts now mines is riding super high in the front can so I removed one side and lowered the ring to the 3rd ring from the bottom and for some reason it seems to be a little higher then before can you please tell me to what ring did you put it to to at least get it to 0.5-0.75

Shack1 05-13-2020 09:42 PM

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20..._assembly.html Unity Strut Assembly Kit has anyone used this?

coronat 05-13-2020 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Justin Credible (Post 8055287)
Hey good evening I am having the same issue you were having I installed new springs and struts now mines is riding super high in the front can so I removed one side and lowered the ring to the 3rd ring from the bottom and for some reason it seems to be a little higher then before can you please tell me to what ring did you put it to to at least get it to 0.5-0.75

That's what I have, but you'll need to adjust both sides to that level and drive it for a bit. Then I got those results. When only one side was adjusted, it looked like nothing really changed until both sides were the same.

cetialpha5 05-13-2020 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Shack1 (Post 8055329)
https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20..._assembly.html Unity Strut Assembly Kit has anyone used this?

Good luck with those. I got Bilstein B4. Those were $250 for the pair from rockauto.com after using the 5% discount code. I used original MB strut mounts and springs and it wasn't that cheap. I think I spent around $650 total just for the parts for both sides. Then again my was a 4matic with the sport suspension and those are only for RWD or airmatic.

mercedesw210amg 11-03-2021 11:14 AM

Hello everyone,
I was looking around the forum for a solution to the ride hight problem I have. I just finished changing the rear springs and tightend everything on the ground and I was wondering if there is any adjustment for the rear as it is too high. I remember seeing these rubber rings as if they were spacers to lift the car higher. Also, the front springs have been changed but I know that they are adustable from thoes rings on the shocks but, where would you put the ring to make the car lower would you put it higher up or lower down.
Also the car is a 4matic.

Thanks.

cetialpha5 11-04-2021 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by mercedesw210amg (Post 8448415)
Hello everyone,
I was looking around the forum for a solution to the ride hight problem I have. I just finished changing the rear springs and tightend everything on the ground and I was wondering if there is any adjustment for the rear as it is too high. I remember seeing these rubber rings as if they were spacers to lift the car higher. Also, the front springs have been changed but I know that they are adustable from thoes rings on the shocks but, where would you put the ring to make the car lower would you put it higher up or lower down.
Also the car is a 4matic.

Thanks.

There's no adjustment for the springs. Are you sure you got the right part? When you first put them in, they're a little high initially but they will settle down after a couple weeks. But the old ones probably sagged so it will probably still be higher than whatever you had before.

mercedesw210amg 11-04-2021 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by cetialpha5 (Post 8448926)
There's no adjustment for the springs. Are you sure you got the right part? When you first put them in, they're a little high initially but they will settle down after a couple weeks. But the old ones probably sagged so it will probably still be higher than whatever you had before.

Yes, I am sure its the right part. That makes sense since the old ones in the rear were both broken from rust so the ride hight wasnt accurate. Also the front ones I am about to change but was wondering what position does the ring go in for the shock to make the hight lower?
Thanks.