W211 Suspension Height Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 Mercedes-Benz E350, 09 BMW 528i
W211 Suspension Height Issue

Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing a ride height issue with my 08 W211 E350 after replacing the shocks. The rear is okay (non-adjustable), but the front is riding higher than it should. After further investigating the problem, it seems (I hope anyway) that the spring seat needs to be adjusted by means of a ring pin.

Does anyone know at which notch the ring pin should be at? (see pictures)

https://imgur.com/a/441cK

The car also has the avantgarde and sport package options.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by coronat; 06-10-2017 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Adding more information.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts
2016 E350 Sport; Mom Wrecked the 2008 E350; sold the 2002 C320
Wow, My Bilstein HDs only had 3 notches, IIRC. Do you have your old struts to make a comparison? Otherwise I'd advice you make a measurement from the lip of your fender and measure down to where it should ideally be, then measure that distance on the strut from where the ring is originally.

Also, take into account that it might take your struts a few days to settle down, so it may ride a little higher until they are done settling.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by EuroDriverSD
Wow, My Bilstein HDs only had 3 notches, IIRC. Do you have your old struts to make a comparison? Otherwise I'd advice you make a measurement from the lip of your fender and measure down to where it should ideally be, then measure that distance on the strut from where the ring is originally.

Also, take into account that it might take your struts a few days to settle down, so it may ride a little higher until they are done settling.
Unfortunately I do not. But it didn't matter because the struts that were already on the car were the incorrect ones, but the springs were so worn that I didn't notice that problem until I decided to replace the springs and shocks.

I originally bought Sachs shocks and verified it to the matching MB genuine part. I also bought an original MB genuine shock later (in an attempt to measure it) but found out that even the genuine shock also needs to be adjusted to whatever the car is sitting at.

I tried to do an estimate and adjust the rings on the other two new shocks I have pictured, but I really do not want to pay for another "guess" at what the height should be (if it can be avoided).
Old 06-15-2017, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
If you installed new springs I would let them settle first.
Make sure they are in fact the correct springs.....
Old 06-16-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
W211 E320 CDI Sportpackage With Carlsson CD32 Chip 2004
Avantgarde must bu front lower then back. Just drive the thing, and it will sag with time to correct heights.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E350 RWD SP1 (M211.056/E272.964)
Originally Posted by coronat
Unfortunately I do not. But it didn't matter because the struts that were already on the car were the incorrect ones, but the springs were so worn that I didn't notice that problem until I decided to replace the springs and shocks.

I originally bought Sachs shocks and verified it to the matching MB genuine part. I also bought an original MB genuine shock later (in an attempt to measure it) but found out that even the genuine shock also needs to be adjusted to whatever the car is sitting at.

I tried to do an estimate and adjust the rings on the other two new shocks I have pictured, but I really do not want to pay for another "guess" at what the height should be (if it can be avoided).
My Bilstein HD shock is also adjustable, but i use as they came. After the installation i notice my car is higher then before. I even have to adjust my headlight down. That is just because i'm used to see failed shock and it's very low.
After couple weeks i don't even notice that my car is high at all, but that's Bilstein HD shocks.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:34 PM

2007 E350 RWD SP1 (M211.056/E272.964)
Hello everyone,
I've been experiencing a ride height issue with my 08 W211 E350 after replacing the shocks. The rear is okay (non-adjustable), but the front is riding higher than it should. After further investigating the problem, it seems (I hope anyway) that the spring seat needs to be adjusted by means of a ring pin.
Does anyone know at which notch the ring pin should be at? (see pictures)
https://imgur.com/a/441cK
The car also has the avantgarde and sport package options.
Thank you in advance!
Did you ever resolve the height setting on this shock?
Old 12-19-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E320 CDI
I've got the same issue. 5 slots up from the bottom and this thing is practically doing a wheelie just sitting in the driveway.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by btv94
Did you ever resolve the height setting on this shock?
Sorry to reply so late, no the issue was never completely resolved. After trying again, I got the ride height to almost match, but was still off by about 0.5 - 0.75 inches, so I decided to just ignore it. The shop suggested that there may be a bushing somewhere that's worn but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

I may eventually have it fixed once I do a complete suspension refresh in the future.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:49 PM

2006 Mercedes e350 4matic
Sorry to reply so late, no the issue was never completely resolved. After trying again, I got the ride height to almost match, but was still off by about 0.5 - 0.75 inches, so I decided to just ignore it. The shop suggested that there may be a bushing somewhere that's worn but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

I may eventually have it fixed once I do a complete suspension refresh in the future.

Hey good evening I am having the same issue you were having I installed new springs and struts now mines is riding super high in the front can so I removed one side and lowered the ring to the 3rd ring from the bottom and for some reason it seems to be a little higher then before can you please tell me to what ring did you put it to to at least get it to 0.5-0.75
Old 05-13-2020, 09:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
06 E350
https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20..._assembly.html Unity Strut Assembly Kit has anyone used this?
Old 05-13-2020, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Justin Credible
Hey good evening I am having the same issue you were having I installed new springs and struts now mines is riding super high in the front can so I removed one side and lowered the ring to the 3rd ring from the bottom and for some reason it seems to be a little higher then before can you please tell me to what ring did you put it to to at least get it to 0.5-0.75
That's what I have, but you'll need to adjust both sides to that level and drive it for a bit. Then I got those results. When only one side was adjusted, it looked like nothing really changed until both sides were the same.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Shack1
https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20..._assembly.html Unity Strut Assembly Kit has anyone used this?
Good luck with those. I got Bilstein B4. Those were $250 for the pair from rockauto.com after using the 5% discount code. I used original MB strut mounts and springs and it wasn't that cheap. I think I spent around $650 total just for the parts for both sides. Then again my was a 4matic with the sport suspension and those are only for RWD or airmatic.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:14 AM

2000 Mercedes e430 4matic 2009 Mercedes E350 4matic
Hello everyone,
I was looking around the forum for a solution to the ride hight problem I have. I just finished changing the rear springs and tightend everything on the ground and I was wondering if there is any adjustment for the rear as it is too high. I remember seeing these rubber rings as if they were spacers to lift the car higher. Also, the front springs have been changed but I know that they are adustable from thoes rings on the shocks but, where would you put the ring to make the car lower would you put it higher up or lower down.
Also the car is a 4matic.

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by mercedesw210amg
Hello everyone,
I was looking around the forum for a solution to the ride hight problem I have. I just finished changing the rear springs and tightend everything on the ground and I was wondering if there is any adjustment for the rear as it is too high. I remember seeing these rubber rings as if they were spacers to lift the car higher. Also, the front springs have been changed but I know that they are adustable from thoes rings on the shocks but, where would you put the ring to make the car lower would you put it higher up or lower down.
Also the car is a 4matic.

Thanks.
There's no adjustment for the springs. Are you sure you got the right part? When you first put them in, they're a little high initially but they will settle down after a couple weeks. But the old ones probably sagged so it will probably still be higher than whatever you had before.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:39 PM

2000 Mercedes e430 4matic 2009 Mercedes E350 4matic
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
There's no adjustment for the springs. Are you sure you got the right part? When you first put them in, they're a little high initially but they will settle down after a couple weeks. But the old ones probably sagged so it will probably still be higher than whatever you had before.
Yes, I am sure its the right part. That makes sense since the old ones in the rear were both broken from rust so the ride hight wasnt accurate. Also the front ones I am about to change but was wondering what position does the ring go in for the shock to make the hight lower?
Thanks.