Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
W211 Suspension Height Issue >

W211 Suspension Height Issue

Notices
E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Old 06-10-2017, 10:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
08 Mercedes-Benz E350, 09 BMW 528i

Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing a ride height issue with my 08 W211 E350 after replacing the shocks. The rear is okay (non-adjustable), but the front is riding higher than it should. After further investigating the problem, it seems (I hope anyway) that the spring seat needs to be adjusted by means of a ring pin.

Does anyone know at which notch the ring pin should be at? (see pictures)

https://imgur.com/a/441cK

The car also has the avantgarde and sport package options.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by coronat; 06-10-2017 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Adding more information.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:07 PM

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
2008 E350 (Wife has the 2002 C320)
Wow, My Bilstein HDs only had 3 notches, IIRC. Do you have your old struts to make a comparison? Otherwise I'd advice you make a measurement from the lip of your fender and measure down to where it should ideally be, then measure that distance on the strut from where the ring is originally.

Also, take into account that it might take your struts a few days to settle down, so it may ride a little higher until they are done settling.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
08 Mercedes-Benz E350, 09 BMW 528i
Originally Posted by EuroDriverSD View Post
Wow, My Bilstein HDs only had 3 notches, IIRC. Do you have your old struts to make a comparison? Otherwise I'd advice you make a measurement from the lip of your fender and measure down to where it should ideally be, then measure that distance on the strut from where the ring is originally.

Also, take into account that it might take your struts a few days to settle down, so it may ride a little higher until they are done settling.
Unfortunately I do not. But it didn't matter because the struts that were already on the car were the incorrect ones, but the springs were so worn that I didn't notice that problem until I decided to replace the springs and shocks.

I originally bought Sachs shocks and verified it to the matching MB genuine part. I also bought an original MB genuine shock later (in an attempt to measure it) but found out that even the genuine shock also needs to be adjusted to whatever the car is sitting at.

I tried to do an estimate and adjust the rings on the other two new shocks I have pictured, but I really do not want to pay for another "guess" at what the height should be (if it can be avoided).
Old 06-15-2017, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Liked 34 Times in 33 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
If you installed new springs I would let them settle first.
Make sure they are in fact the correct springs.....
Old 06-16-2017, 08:48 AM

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
W211 E320 CDI Sportpackage With Carlsson CD32 Chip 2004
Avantgarde must bu front lower then back. Just drive the thing, and it will sag with time to correct heights.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:11 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2007 E350 RWD SP1 (M211.056/E272.964)
Originally Posted by coronat View Post
Unfortunately I do not. But it didn't matter because the struts that were already on the car were the incorrect ones, but the springs were so worn that I didn't notice that problem until I decided to replace the springs and shocks.

I originally bought Sachs shocks and verified it to the matching MB genuine part. I also bought an original MB genuine shock later (in an attempt to measure it) but found out that even the genuine shock also needs to be adjusted to whatever the car is sitting at.

I tried to do an estimate and adjust the rings on the other two new shocks I have pictured, but I really do not want to pay for another "guess" at what the height should be (if it can be avoided).
My Bilstein HD shock is also adjustable, but i use as they came. After the installation i notice my car is higher then before. I even have to adjust my headlight down. That is just because i'm used to see failed shock and it's very low.
After couple weeks i don't even notice that my car is high at all, but that's Bilstein HD shocks.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:34 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2007 E350 RWD SP1 (M211.056/E272.964)
Originally Posted by coronat View Post
Hello everyone,
I've been experiencing a ride height issue with my 08 W211 E350 after replacing the shocks. The rear is okay (non-adjustable), but the front is riding higher than it should. After further investigating the problem, it seems (I hope anyway) that the spring seat needs to be adjusted by means of a ring pin.
Does anyone know at which notch the ring pin should be at? (see pictures)
https://imgur.com/a/441cK
The car also has the avantgarde and sport package options.
Thank you in advance!
Did you ever resolve the height setting on this shock?